PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
It's very humid here as well. I tried the oven, microwave... but I don't like the results, so I got used to smoke moist tobacco. Just rubbing it very well with my hands and packing lightly provide for a good smoke. I even smoke Samuel Gawiths now without any drying time.

Reactions: Piping Abe

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmm, that read like you opened and dried out a whole jar of tabac at once?

I’m not sure anyone would recommend doing it that way.

<< Snipped bits out >>

A number of us seasoned smokers recommend and do exactly that.

Why would you say or think that?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find that if you fill a jar half way it seems to dry out to exactly where I like it to be. I don't know how anything works so I will guess. See if you fill it the whole way it seems to stay more moist then I like even when you get down close to the dregs. Half it seems to dry out a bit more. I guess in some way the full jar gets conditioned by the excessive tobacco.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I haven't had any flavor issues using the microwave. I only go 7-10 seconds. I think a Gawith flake took 15 seconds, but, you know, it's Gawith.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The small desk lamp is a bright idea (so to speak). My cats are always sunbathing under one of mine.

Reactions: Akoni808

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Title edited for caps and brevity. Rule 9! -jpm

I recently discovered that I enjoy on the dry side when the humidity dropped below 20% the other day. I dried out several jars by just leaving them open and shaking the jars every once in a while until the tobacco was almost crunchy and have been in heaven ever since.

My problem is that its now been 70% and raining for a few days and i want to open a new tin but know that just leaving it out wont get the job done.
20% RH in NJ is right low! Are you inland a bit? Inside, I bet the RH is below 70%, which I think is a general good level to shoot for.

In any event, you have a lot of suggestions!

Good luck!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
20% RH in NJ is right low! Are you inland a bit? Inside, I bet the RH is below 70%, which I think is a general good level to shoot for.

In any event, you have a lot of suggestions!

Good luck!
The RH in my house right now is 65% with the windows open. At this point, 65%-75% will be the average through the summer and I’m pretty far inland.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The RH in my house right now is 65% with the windows open. At this point, 65%-75% will be the average through the summer and I’m pretty far inland.
Then you have pretty good situation, as leaving the lid off won't do any harm. Though if you run a/c, the RH inside will probably go down substantially.