Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Just wondering what everyone’s routine is before smoking their tobacco. I’ve heard of drying 5 to 10 minutes, even on a paper towel. I’ve heard of people drying for 30 minutes to a hour even. I know some tin tobacco can be pretty moist but, what if you bought tobacco out of a jar at a brick and mortar?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No hard and fast rule. Depends on the cut and how you like to smoke. I like it drier, easier to pack, light and smoke and improves the flavors as well. Not to mention less steam, less bite. If it is ribbon and you squeeze a pinch together and it doesn't either crumble or release back immediately, it's too wet. I mostly smoke flake. If I bend it in half and it doesn't crack/break, too moist. I pre open my tins by a few days to a month or two. SG blends open at least a month before I start smoking them and still have to usually dry.

If you have to dry, the best method I've found is to wrap it in a napkin for an hour or two. Microwave if you must but that does seem to take away a bit of the flavor. While I haven't been much of a B&M out of the jar guy, that tobacco has generally been dry enough right out of the jar unless the tobacconist just dumped a fresh bag in. Learn to judge by your own touch/feel. I'd recommend erroring on the dry side. If it doesn't crumble to dust, it's likely good enough to be smoked. I know that sounds counter intuitive but just try it.

M

Magnum207

+1 for Servant King’s response….. All different. I have, however; heard of persons placing a bowlful amount of undisclosed type(s) of tobacco being placed in the microwave for “exactly” ten-seconds.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't go by a set time. I go by feel. Since most of what I smoke are Virginias and their variants I look for the tobacco to be just shy of bone dry. For me that means that the tobacco feels dry to the touch when squeezed, no cool sense of moisture against my skin. Still pliant if a little crispy at the ends, but not crumbly dry. That's the level of moisture that brings out the most flavors in a blend. Getting to that state varies by manufacturer, from 45 minutes to 4 to 5 hours. With some aros I'll allow the tiniest bit more moisture for the sauce, more of a reduction than a thin soup. "English" blends and their variants are far more forgiving, but even with "English" blends limited moisture improves their flavors for me. YMMV.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just wondering what everyone’s routine is before smoking their tobacco. I’ve heard of drying 5 to 10 minutes, even on a paper towel. I’ve heard of people drying for 30 minutes to a hour even. I know some tin tobacco can be pretty moist but, what if you bought tobacco out of a jar at a brick and mortar?
depends on three things. The tobacco and how wet it is as well as how it smokes at different levels of dry. (Va are great at nearly dust in my opinion), environment you know heat and humidity in fact leaving it out on a super humid day will hydrate the tobacco, and the last and most key one is the person smoking it and what they like. Best advice experiment and see what tickles your fancy.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I have an old Erinmore Flake tin, which I use to carry tobacco in because it’s small and fits in my pocket better than a 1.75oz/50g tin does.
The seal on the tin isn’t great but I find a day or two in there dries flakes out to near perfection, with just enough moisture to slow the burn down.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
As with most things tobacco related, your experience will vary.

Some tobacco is ready to light right out of the pouch/tin. Some takes 10-15 minutes to prepare. Some takes 30 minutes to hours. Some needs to be cut & rubbed before drying.

My preparation methods vary, but usually entail putting more tobacco than I need into a small bowl or old tin and letting it rest a bit before loading my bowl. Sometimes the extra goes right back in the receptacle, sometimes it waits for a second bowl. Again, YMMV but experience in this regard is indeed the best teacher.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
It often depends on the blend I'm smoking, but I will either go right from the tin/jar if it's an English or Oriental or I will dry it for 30 minutes or so if it's a goopy aromatic. Perhaps I should try to dry the English and Orientals too to see if there's a difference.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Laurent