Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Hi Theiron. Wow¡¡¡ Well, you are very close to my wife's country house in that area, I'm glad to hear that, my friend. The village is called Arbo, right next to the border of Portugal, a mile or two away. I think we will go on vacation in the second half of March, as we do every year.
The next time we visit, we'll have to see if it's possible to meet and have a smoke (if things ever get back to normal). My high school Spanish enables me to read a little, but I can't keep up with the spoken language; the dialect in Galicia was especially difficult. We went to a restaurant for the Meal of the Day lunch special, and it translated to "debt." I took a chance and ordered it. It was pig knuckles (and I was quite happy).

We took a day trip to Porto and had a great time at Quinto do Noval and Graham's especially (had some fantastic vintage port at both places). We never had egg tarts so good that we got from a bakery that seemed like a fast food chain. We were driving away and eating them, wishing we bought more.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The next time we visit, we'll have to see if it's possible to meet and have a smoke (if things ever get back to normal). My high school Spanish enables me to read a little, but I can't keep up with the spoken language; the dialect in Galicia was especially difficult. We went to a restaurant for the Meal of the Day lunch special, and it translated to "debt." I took a chance and ordered it. It was pig knuckles (and I was quite happy).

We took a day trip to Porto and had a great time at Quinto do Noval and Graham's especially (had some fantastic vintage port at both places). We never had egg tarts so good that we got from a bakery that seemed like a fast food chain. We were driving away and eating them, wishing we bought more.
It would be a pleasure to meet you my friend. Yes, we will smoke together. Glad to hear you were happy in that area. I can't speak Galician either. It is very similar almost identical to Portuguese. Galicia is one of the best places to eat in Spain. Portugal has fantastic cakes, butter and milk.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I think "draw" all I come up with is Yosemite Sam. This guy was a pretty good drawer of tobacco, I'm terrible at drawering.

View attachment 123516

Don’t mean to go off topic here, but it’s my understanding the original painting faced the other direction, and not as vivid looking either, like this one I have, and if anyone can share any info, please tell us which is correct, or did he do both? hmm ?

99CC1C36-EA6D-478B-8F72-1FA00F0F16A3.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Don’t mean to go off topic here, but it’s my understanding the original painting faced the other direction, and not as vivid looking either, like this one I have, and if anyone can share any info, please tell us which is correct, or did he do both? hmm ?

View attachment 124377
Hey, I paid $24 for that painting!

Actually no idea here. Most of his self portraits appear to face the way you are showing it, but even when facing this way he apparently "reversed" aspects of them, but always seemingly facing the way you are showing. I can't remember where I found that and it may well be not shown right wherever it was, but your question at least got me to read a little bit and it's interesting stuff.