Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Welcome. I’ll apologize in advance for the first time someone mistakes you for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those prices might introduce me to the weekly bowl. I especially like the MM special edition cobs with acrylic stems, so I don't have to replace the soft plastic ones. They go for about 26USD here, but are worth it. Welcome aboard.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Howdy from down under :)

Reformed / casual cigar smoker, who recently became interested in pipes from a buddy who I ride ADV bikes with.
Kinda jealous of the aroma of his pipe around a campfire, so decided to give it a crack.
Quite taken back by the level of commitment and learning involved, but the relaxation of sipping on a pipe for an hour or so certainly makes it a worthwhile hobby in my humble view.

Currently have a couple of pipes – a Savinelli Rusticated 106 and a MM Country Gentleman.
I bought the MM as a knock about pipe and the 106 as my “good” pipe – but to be honest the MM smokes as good if not better currently than my 106.
I’m guessing over time the briar (and my skill level) will potentially flip that view.

Unfortunately, being in Australia, the level of taxation in general, but especially for tobacco, has really activated my anarco capitalist side @ ~$70/oz.
I guess I’m fortunate to some degree that I’m a casual smoker, enjoying a few bowls on the weekend and one occasionally after work during the week.
Still it p!sses me off that I can’t grab 2oz tins for $10 like my US brothers.

Working on the breathe method and retro-hale currently; trying to get the taste of the baccys I’ve got.
It’s a process, but I’m slowly getting more than a mouthful of peppery smoke (working some C&D Autumn Evening and getting maple notes at the moment). Going SLOW and not puffing like a chimney (as you would with a cigar) has been the challenge, all while trying to keep the bowl lit.

Looking forward to learning more and hearing some good yarns from fellow pipers.
Welcome from Sydney. Hope to see some posts from you from time to time.

Reactions: chopper

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
Welcome! Tins of tobacco are outrageous here in ny, I feel your pain...not $70 an ounce pain though.

Reactions: JOHN72

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019

Reformed / casual cigar smoker, who recently became interested in pipes from a buddy who I ride ADV bikes with.
Kinda jealous of the aroma of his pipe around a campfire, so decided to give it a crack.
Quite taken back by the level of commitment and learning involved, but the relaxation of sipping on a pipe for an hour or so certainly makes it a worthwhile hobby in my humble view.

Currently have a couple of pipes – a Savinelli Rusticated 106 and a MM Country Gentleman.
I bought the MM as a knock about pipe and the 106 as my “good” pipe – but to be honest the MM smokes as good if not better currently than my 106.
I’m guessing over time the briar (and my skill level) will potentially flip that view.

Unfortunately, being in Australia, the level of taxation in general, but especially for tobacco, has really activated my anarco capitalist side @ ~$70/oz.
I guess I’m fortunate to some degree that I’m a casual smoker, enjoying a few bowls on the weekend and one occasionally after work during the week.

Working on the breathe method and retro-hale currently; trying to get the taste of the baccys I’ve got.
It’s a process, but I’m slowly getting more than a mouthful of peppery smoke (working some C&D Autumn Evening and getting maple notes at the moment). Going SLOW and not puffing like a chimney (as you would with a cigar) has been the challenge, all while trying to keep the bowl lit.

Looking forward to learning more and hearing some good yarns from fellow pipers.
Welcome from NW of Sydney.

Before the laws changed 2019 re; importing tobacco, 1 in 4-5 orders were intercepted by customs.

During this Rona period over twelve orders made it to my door before I got caught for a 2nd time last week.
Although I'm told I'm in for a big fine [$1,500] it pales alongside what those twelve orders of tobacco would have cost here [1lb = $1,150]

First offence gets a warning letter so my advice is to make 1lb orders until customs finds one. [Didn't have much luck with tins. Bulk has a much better chance of getting through undetected. May as well order at least 1lb per order since customs treats it no differently to a 50g tin]

It is not illegal to import cigars would you believe.
Since I've been busted I might start ordering cigars from O/S.

Smoking a pipe gets better with experience. Before one realises packing and puffing cadence becomes 2nd nature.

Reactions: Berg

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Welcome from the northern suburbs of Sydney. Just a heads up, Sunriseboy has some tobacco for sale here and he only ships to Aus (I think he is in Queensland) Check out the for sale section.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome from Knik River, Alaska!

Visited Oz twice. A beautiful country of diverse people and landscapes. I don’t see my life concluding without another visit.

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
Welcome from NW of Sydney.

Before the laws changed 2019 re; importing tobacco, 1 in 4-5 orders were intercepted by customs.

During this Rona period over twelve orders made it to my door before I got caught for a 2nd time last week.
Although I'm told I'm in for a big fine [$1,500] it pales alongside what those twelve orders of tobacco would have cost here [1lb = $1,150]

First offence gets a warning letter so my advice is to make 1lb orders until customs finds one. [Didn't have much luck with tins. Bulk has a much better chance of getting through undetected. May as well order at least 1lb per order since customs treats it no differently to a 50g tin]

It is not illegal to import cigars would you believe.
Since I've been busted I might start ordering cigars from O/S.

Smoking a pipe gets better with experience. Before one realises packing and puffing cadence becomes 2nd nature.
Thanks buddy. Interesting way of considering things. I thought a couple of tins wouldn’t be worth prosecuting, but it’s hard to tell. Maybe it’s smarter just going big and stockpiling? Like you said it’s better to be ahead of you get pinged with a $1500 fine.

Reactions: chopper

Bit late, like 6 weeks late, but welcome from another newbie from North Qld, Berg.

Status
Not open for further replies.