PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
Howdy from down under :)

Reformed / casual cigar smoker, who recently became interested in pipes from a buddy who I ride ADV bikes with.
Kinda jealous of the aroma of his pipe around a campfire, so decided to give it a crack.
Quite taken back by the level of commitment and learning involved, but the relaxation of sipping on a pipe for an hour or so certainly makes it a worthwhile hobby in my humble view.

Currently have a couple of pipes – a Savinelli Rusticated 106 and a MM Country Gentleman.
I bought the MM as a knock about pipe and the 106 as my “good” pipe – but to be honest the MM smokes as good if not better currently than my 106.
I’m guessing over time the briar (and my skill level) will potentially flip that view.

Unfortunately, being in Australia, the level of taxation in general, but especially for tobacco, has really activated my anarco capitalist side @ ~$70/oz.
I guess I’m fortunate to some degree that I’m a casual smoker, enjoying a few bowls on the weekend and one occasionally after work during the week.
Still it p!sses me off that I can’t grab 2oz tins for $10 like my US brothers.

Working on the breathe method and retro-hale currently; trying to get the taste of the baccys I’ve got.
It’s a process, but I’m slowly getting more than a mouthful of peppery smoke (working some C&D Autumn Evening and getting maple notes at the moment). Going SLOW and not puffing like a chimney (as you would with a cigar) has been the challenge, all while trying to keep the bowl lit.

Looking forward to learning more and hearing some good yarns from fellow pipers.

RMGadelha

Lurker
Mar 5, 2021
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Welcome from Rio de Janeiro, also in the southern hemisphere ;). I feel your pain. We have a different problem here, and it's mostly the fact that brick & mortar stores only sell the "drugstore blends" like your Captain Blacks n such, no variety at all, so the only way to get some of the other types of blends is to either import from the US (teeeechnically illegal, but the customs don't mind sometimes, and sometimes they do) or buy from resellers on the Internet who basically resell it for like a ridiculous price. I was lucky enough recently when an American friend sent me three blends for Christmas, but it's not something that happens every time.

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
Welcome from Rio de Janeiro, also in the southern hemisphere ;). I feel your pain. We have a different problem here, and it's mostly the fact that brick & mortar stores only sell the "drugstore blends" like your Captain Blacks n such, no variety at all, so the only way to get some of the other types of blends is to either import from the US (teeeechnically illegal, but the customs don't mind sometimes, and sometimes they do) or buy from resellers on the Internet who basically resell it for like a ridiculous price. I was lucky enough recently when an American friend sent me three blends for Christmas, but it's not something that happens every time.
Thanks mate, seems we get a bit of a kick being in the Southern Hemisphere hey? Guess that's the tax for living in the better half of the globe :LOL:. I don't think Aus is much different from a selection perspective,

Importing might be an idea; I figured it'd be Russian roulette at the border. I guess the question would be is it RR with a Glock or a revolver....

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Welcome from Canada - the MM's are fine pipes and will last a good ong time if you take care of them. You don't need to spend lots on a fancy briar (but you probably will).

You've started the right way up. It's often wiser to spend your cash on good baccy. Good luck with the duties gambles ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.