Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
My pipes become easily frightened when locked away in a drawer or whatever, so I perch them on racks so they can breathe. Cheapest "rack," as far as I know, would be to just drill holes in a board and stick the pipes in, stem down. Just lean the whole mess against a wall and call it good.
Have you compared the price with a cardboard box?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I own a Savinelli 36 count rack that retailed for a couple of grand back in 2000. At the time it was the nicest rack I could find. It was made from Burl wood, had tinted glass doors and 3 holes on each side so it could breath. I traded a guy a box of Trinidad Fundadores I was into for 292.00 that I got from purosexpress in Spain when the Pasetas was 181.00 per dollar which was right before the Euro came into affect.

I then recently scored a 15 count rack with glass doors for real short money and it is currently waiting to be filled by my favorite carver. I have 12 commissions from him currently, with 2 currently being made.

I would not own a cabinet that did not have tinted glass doors and holes in the sides to let the pipes breath. Between Obidisian stem oil and the tinted glass doors, I never worry about all of my ebonite stems getting oxidized.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’ve got these, and several 3 and 7 racks, as well as some drawers for storing some pipes.
View attachment 116170
But, if someone doesn’t want racks…. Or just uses. An egg crate…. I’ve found most of my smaller racks at antique shops for rather cheap.
That screams "I am a pipe smoker" so probably the intent...LOL!!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I had a rack built (16) that I like very much and I have some large (24, 36) and small ones by Decatur. The part of the Decatur that is notched is fine for bent pipes, but I've found the tiers with holes will only fit straight stem pipes. Anything weirdly shaped or wider than a pipe design you would've seen in the '50s will not fit on most of those Decatur racks—some squat Rhodesians can easily slip off the rack unless you turn them sideways. Decatur racks turn up on eBay all the time in various sizes and conditions (and prices, but they can be had cheaply).

I have magnetic stands for some pipes that don't fit or Meerschaums I fear will fall off the rack, but there are some pipes that are too big or long that will not work with a magnetic stand; they'll tip over. I also use the little leather stands, sort of like bean bag chairs, by Castleford for some of my figural pipes.

Reactions: Laurent and JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's the issue with racks? I thought racks would be better for my pipes (I keep them in a Star Wars treasure box now lol).
Exposure to light and air increases the probability of vulcanite oxidizing. Direct sunlight will really screw up both vulcanite stems as well as bleach out finishes.

I have some significantly rare and valuable vintage pipes. I prefer to keep them in tip top shape.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I really don't want to spend money on a rack I'd rather toss that money towards pipes/tobacco. Are there any alternatives out there - I don't care about aesthetics. Maybe repurposing ideas? Building one's not an option I am not a handy man. I have about 10 pipes.
You don't need a rack. (Unless you really want one!) drawers, counter tops not in direct sunlight, shoe boxes, egg cartons, glasses cases etc. can be used.

Reactions: Laurent

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I'm out of step in that I like racks and have several, including a combined rack and tobacco drawer and a wall hung glass front cabinet, plus an open 18 pipe rack and my dad's and grandfather's ten pipe circular rack with amber tobacco jar. The 18 pipe open rack was an excellent deal, maybe $25 new from one of the smaller online retailers years ago. Sorry, I can't remember which. My area is not a traditional pipe smoking region, apparently, since pipes and racks are hard to find in flea markets, yard sales, and antique stores. I think around here, cigarettes were king.
I’m a rack man too ?

Reactions: Laurent