PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Title edited. Lower case for articles!
-jpm

Well I guess it depends on what kind of rack you're referring to I am talking about a Pipe Rack.

I really don't want to spend money on a rack I'd rather toss that money towards pipes/tobacco. Are there any alternatives out there - I don't care about aesthetics. Maybe repurposing ideas? Building one's not an option I am not a handy man. I have about 10 pipes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well I guess it depends on what kind of rack you're referring to I am talking about a Pipe Rack.

I really don't want to spend money on a rack I'd rather toss that money towards pipes/tobacco. Are there any alternatives out there - I don't care about aesthetics. Maybe repurposing ideas? Building one's not an option I am not a handy man. I have about 10 pipes.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Got an old book shelf? Just drill some holes big enough to slide the stem through in one of the shelves and there ya go. I know there's some disagreement with the whole "bowl up or down" thing, but it seems like a quick and dirty way to rack your pipes. And, they'll look handsome on a bookshelf, that's where I keep mine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Any kind of storage will do, shelves, boxes, bins, etc, and are better for your pipes than racks. Of the people I know who own significantly rare and valuable collectible pipes, exactly zero store them in racks.
My storage solution isn't exactly low cost. I have a stack cases designed for holding pipes, anywhere from 15 tto 21 per case. And I have a couple of boxes where the cased pipes are kept.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I never wanted to spend a lot of money on pipe stands either. I inherited a 6 pipe stand from my grandfather but all the other pipe stands I have I found used. eBay is helpful sometimes but the majority of my pipe stands have come from antique shops.

Go to enough antique shops and you're bound to find a deal. I've seen overpriced ones in shops just like I have on eBay but I've also found some really good deals for stands that hold 12+ pipes for less than $20. I've also repurposed old leather belts into single pipe stands and still have a few of those around. And with all those stands I've still got pipes in the pipe boxes in a drawer. It would all be much simpler if I didn't have so many pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm out of step in that I like racks and have several, including a combined rack and tobacco drawer and a wall hung glass front cabinet, plus an open 18 pipe rack and my dad's and grandfather's ten pipe circular rack with amber tobacco jar. The 18 pipe open rack was an excellent deal, maybe $25 new from one of the smaller online retailers years ago. Sorry, I can't remember which. My area is not a traditional pipe smoking region, apparently, since pipes and racks are hard to find in flea markets, yard sales, and antique stores. I think around here, cigarettes were king.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Any kind of storage will do, shelves, boxes, bins, etc, and are better for your pipes than racks. Of the people I know who own significantly rare and valuable collectible pipes, exactly zero store them in racks.
My storage solution isn't exactly low cost. I have a stack cases designed for holding pipes, anywhere from 15 tto 21 per case. And I have a couple of boxes where the cased pipes are kept.
What's the issue with racks? I thought racks would be better for my pipes (I keep them in a Star Wars treasure box now lol).