PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
When I go to my local cigar shops, the owners tell me to just place the mouth piece between your index finger and middle finger just by clinching it with those two fingers you get an idea of what kind of weight you can handle for a pipe. As far as how the pipe looks hold it up close and use your imagination how it looks griped on your teeth.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
To me, mouth feel is at least as important as the look, texture, weight and balance of a pipe. Like Phil (ohin3), if the bit isn't a good fit the pipe won't get smoked too often. I'd rather smoke a comfy Grabow than a Dunhill that doesn't feel just right.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
It isn't like buying a toothbrush when you can try them all out to find one that feels good.

I also don't buy many $100 toothbrushes.
I'm sure once i get more experienced i'll know what to look for but this is a expensive lesson to learn, not like buying a tin of baccy and not liking it......

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One other benefit of cobs is that you can try different shapes and sizes w/o much investment. Bent pipes are much more comfortable, especially if you need your hands free, but more difficult to smoke and clean.
If there is a particular pipe you're interested in you might try asking about it here first...chances are someone here has smoked the same model before or currently owns one.

Status
Not open for further replies.