PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcamper

Lurker
Mar 22, 2019
Sonoma County
A newb here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I find that I have to hold a soft flame butane lighter over the tobacco much longer than a pipe Zippo. I have to swirl it around a few times to get a good light (the butane). But with the pipe Zippo, I draw in the huge flame for just a brief instant and I have a good light. So either I burn some tobacco too hot, or I get a very brief whiff of Ronsonol. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I am still experimenting with both.

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
A newb here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Don't apologize for being new to the "hobby." You're observations are as valid as mine and everybody else's.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I'm a princess and can taste fuel during the bowl, maybe it's all in my head but I can't use a Zippo and enjoy my pipe. Have been matches only for years.

Sep 18, 2015
I used Zippo’s for decades (cigarettes) you get used to the taste after a while and don’t notice it anymore. Cigars seem to be more sensitive, possibility because once you draw the fumes in there’s no way for it to evaporate, I prefer my tobacco to not taste like naphtha.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A newb here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I find that I have to hold a soft flame butane lighter over the tobacco much longer than a pipe Zippo. I have to swirl it around a few times to get a good light (the butane). But with the pipe Zippo, I draw in the huge flame for just a brief instant and I have a good light. So either I burn some tobacco too hot, or I get a very brief whiff of Ronsonol. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I am still experimenting with both.
If you like a large flame, you can adjust the butane lighter.
However, a gentler lighting of tobacco is often "a good thing".

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I came across this topic that Zippo fluid screws up the taste and flavor of tobacco. Is there such thing?
Yes, there is such a thing but the only way I have found to do it is by overfilling the lighter and/or use bad quality fuel. Not all lighter fuel is created equal.
Also, don't have your wick too long. With my pipe insert, I tend to have it so it goes no further than halfway up the hole in the chimney.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I like matches for indoor use or perfect conditions outside. I have a vertigo pipe lighter. It has not failed me now for two years.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
For me the lighter fluid is a no-no. My son-in-law bought me a butane Zippo and I love it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Tried the pipe insert on my Zippo. I think it's something they made just because they could. It wasn't an improvement, just required a different technique. I tip the lighter a bit towards the pipe, tip the bowl towards the lighter, and suck the flame to the tobacco. Then, pipe well lit, I go about my merry way. I read the instructions which came with my first Zippo. After getting in the habit of letting the flame burn a second, no fuel taste. I do the same with matches, even the sainted Vesta, so as not to taste the match ignition.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I tried lighting with a the Zippo (pipe insert) for the first time today. Worked just fine, but I did get a whiff of fuel taste even after letting it burn for a couple of seconds. Only on the first puff though, and I think this will be my future choice for windy condition lighting.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I do admit the fluid insert is probably more windproof than the Thunderbird (butane) insert. I'm just this butane guy, y'know, so the T'bird is my alternate to the Imco in windy situations.
Bill

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am butane and matches all the way.
However, to minimize the intrusion of lighter fluid taste, hold the flame further away from the tobacco. The super heated air beyond the tip of the flame is enough to gently ignite the tobacco. Just draw the flame to near the tobacco, don't point it in.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
tZYHsj6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.