PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I came across this topic that Zippo fluid screws up the taste and flavor of tobacco. Is there such thing?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For some.
Just make sure you let the flame burn for a second or two, and that you don't tip the lighter towards the bowl: keep it parallel to the ground and you'll be fine.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
don't tip the lighter towards the bowl: keep it parallel to the ground and you'll be fine.
Confused... Parallel to the ground means tipping the lighter on it's side correct? Wouldn't that be the same as tipping it towards the bowl?

Reactions: DIYpiper

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nope, Panhandler. Besides, with Zippos designed for pipes, which have a hole in each side of the chimney, you need to hold the lighter horizontal in order to draw the flame down and into the bowl.
See here: Zippo instructional
The demonstrator in that video is playing it even safer—by tilting the flaming end of the lighter slightly upwards to avoid fuel spills.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Yeah, I have a Zippo with the pipe insert and use it often. I was just confused about the tipping part.
Got it now. Thanks Olkofri.

derhammer

Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Never really got the taste of fuel. I think the inconvenience with pipe zippos is that you have to draw real hard when only very little tobacco left in the bowl. Hard to get it lit. For this I just grab my clipper lighter in order to be able to finish the bowl.

I never use the pipe inserts anymore. I went through three of them, and the striker wheel always seemed to gum up really fast, probably from the fluid. But, when I started using the regular Zippo insert, which never gummed up, I found that turning it on it's side and holding it an inch to half-an-inch above the bowl to work just as well as the insert. I'm not even sure now, why the pipe insert is even needed.
And, no, I don't taste the fluid in the bowl.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I can definitely taste it, but it's only for a second. There aren't any long term taste effects. The main reason I don't use my zips is because the altitude and dryness of where I live means I have to refill them almost daily due to evaporation. Now that I've switched to mostly butane, the fluid taste is more evident.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t taste any fluid and I 100% of the time use Zippo (except for when I don’t). I use a pipe insert never had a prob with the wheel gumming up (knock on wood).

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
been using zippo since 1980. cigarettes, cigars, and now pipes. no issues what so ever. unless, of course, i run out of fuel. that's why i have a bic.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I took care of the Zippo fluid issue with a Thunderbird insert. Now, yeah, I know a lot of people say, "After the first few puffs it's not an issue." True that may be, however when I smoke I want good taste from the beginning. I don't want to have to "unwrap" every bowl with a couple of obligatory kerosene puffs (or times X number of relights, which no one ever seems to consider) to get to a lack of gasoline flavor.
Yeah, I'm picky, & it's just me. But that *works* for me, so just deal with the attitude. :)
Bill

Reactions: DIYpiper

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't mind it in pipe smoking, in fact I don't feel it at all. I can't stand it though in my cigars ...

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@jason64
Zippo lighter fluid is both volatile and flammable, so any that doesn't burn when you are lighting your pipe quickly dissipates. I occasionally get a brief whiff of it but have never tasted is when using my Zippo.
But all that matters is what you think. If you don't like the taste of tobacco lit with lighter fluid, try a butane lighter or use matches.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So I don't ever use matches, like I probably should. I've been using a Zippo for a few years now. Yesterday I forgot it at home and used a bic lighter from the wife.
I MUCH PERFER the taste of the Zippo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I really get particular, even matches impart a slight scent into the air. I let a match burn a second or two, and then light the pipe. It gives the flame time to stabilize a little too. If you get the lighter fueled just right, it shouldn't give off much or any scent, but if you get a whiff of lighter fuel, it can bias the first few puffs. This is all sense of smell, not taste, but as with food, the scent is a lot of the experience. I like matches for the extra soft flame, but with any flame, reducing the smell is a good idea. This really sounds fussy, but I think it is a fine point, but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.