Does Perique Add Anything Other Than Spice?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If memory serves, Embarcadero does not contain perique, just Virginias and Orientals/turkish. Cairo does have a bit of perique and it's very figgy. I find GL Pease does perique quite well in the blends I've tried so far.

Does Haddo's Delight also have a figgy/fruity profile?
Haddo’s is a very unique blend. Some love it, some hate it. If you are a Perique fan, you should try it. It does have that fig/stewed fruit thing going on, but it also has some piquancy. It is very dynamic from beginning to end, and mostly because of the Perique in my opinion. There is a topping at play, as well.

Reactions: NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Haddo’s is a very unique blend. Some love it, some hate it. If you are a Perique fan, you should try it. It does have that fig/stewed fruit thing going on, but it also has some piquancy. It is very dynamic from beginning to end, and mostly because of the Perique in my opinion. There is a topping at play, as well.
I've just recently started to appreciate perique, so I'll take your advice and add a tin to my next order, thank you. I've heard so many polarizing things about Haddo's.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man there is a lot of good stuff in here, this is turning out to be a really great educational thread. I don’t really have anything to add. I just find it interesting that not all Perique tastes the same as I find that to be true with Latakia as well and even within the same Cyprian Latakia style and I’m guessing there is different grades? Different parts of the plant used? Each house stores and preps it differently, it’s aged and stored in some houses and fresher in others? Ultimately it all comes from the same place though so why is some Cyprian Latakia better than others. For instance, there is something completely unique to Esoterica’s Latakia, I can’t put my finger on it but it’s different than say Sutliff or C&D’s Latakia.

Anyway, back to Perique. Yeah... good stuff! I just revived some of Jitters homegrown stuff and I’m just smoking that stuff straight. Delightful!

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I would pick a perique blend over a Latakia one if I faced a choice. I find OJK has a lot of pepper for the first half of the bowl and then mellows out nicely. Bayou Night on the other hand which I think has more perique doesn’t give me the same pepper hit. Both have a good vitamin N profile.

Reactions: danimalia

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
That's right. Embarcadero is VA/Oriental and Fillmore is VA/Per.

I do think Haddo's has that figgy/ fruity thing going on, and maybe some chocolatey notes, too. Another good one to try!
I just re-read your original post, my mistake. I thought you meant both had perique.

Reactions: danimalia