Does Perique Add Anything Other Than Spice?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
I've recently tried a couple of blends which contain perique. I definitely get the pepper-thing. I don't particularly enjoy that and it doesn't always pair very well with the beverage I'm drinking. I think I'd rather avoid it.

I'm new to VaPers having recently tried a couple. I like them! But can do without the pepper. Does that mean I should try a straight Virginia? Or is the perique in the VaPer adding flavor or other characteristics to the smoke which are contributing to the overall enjoyment of the VaPer?

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
YES. Like has been said before by Hoosier, there are different perique types. And even within the same "Type", there are different organizations that can sauce or store their perique in different ways that greatly affect its presence and influence on a blend. Perique is also a variable product, and differences in temperature, time, and other factors can affect the flavor compounds that the anaerobic bacteria has on the fermentation period.

I get a strong glutamate affect and salt taste and influence from adding it to various blends. Aging blends with more fruity perique can bring out a plummy and dark almost red-wine-reduction type flavor. Gregory Pease has noted it has a similar salt-like influence on his blends.

Some are sensitive to the spice element of perique. Some Perique has little to no spice element. I'm not sensitive to it all and hardly notice it unless it's pretty extreme and of the spicy variety.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
YES. Like has been said before by Hoosier, there are different perique types. And even within the same "Type", there are different organizations that can sauce or store their perique in different ways that greatly affect its presence and influence on a blend. Perique is also a variable product, and differences in temperature, time, and other factors can affect the flavor compounds that the anaerobic bacteria has on the fermentation period.

I get a strong glutamate affect and salt taste and influence from adding it to various blends. Aging blends with more fruity perique can bring out a plummy and dark almost red-wine-reduction type flavor. Gregory Pease has noted it has a similar salt-like influence on his blends.

Some are sensitive to the spice element of perique. Some Perique has little to no spice element. I'm not sensitive to it all and hardly notice it unless it's pretty extreme and of the spicy variety.

Thank you for the very informative response!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like other condiments, I think Perique is done best when it brings up the base tobacco, like Virginia, in a pleasing way both by harmonizing and contrasting. When that's done just right, it can be wonderful, otherwise, not so much. Orlik Golden Sliced supposedly has Perique, but few can taste it, and that may be one of OGS's secret appeals.

Chemically, perique has been fermented into more complex molecules that is no longer nicotine, but they act as an acid to help your body ingest the nicotine of the leaf it is blended with. It is a little more peppery, due to the acidity, but depending on the perique and the leaf it is blended with it can take on a more malic acidy taste as you'd find in cider or even a stewed fruit taste, depending on how long it has been blended with the surrounding leaf.

But, since most pipesmokers prefer VaPers, being Virginias and Perique, the increase in the amount of nicotine is just slight. If you add in a pinch of burley or dark fired, the nicotine is/can be even greater.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Man I never believed that whole "spicy" descriptor until I tried a heavy perique blend and I gotta say it works with some things but definitely not a regular smoker for me!

I haven't come across this fruity/figgy version though, anybody have a source for a good blend of it?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've recently tried a couple of blends which contain perique. I definitely get the pepper-thing. I don't particularly enjoy that and it doesn't always pair very well with the beverage I'm drinking. I think I'd rather avoid it.

I'm new to VaPers having recently tried a couple. I like them! But can do without the pepper. Does that mean I should try a straight Virginia? Or is the perique in the VaPer adding flavor or other characteristics to the smoke which are contributing to the overall enjoyment of the VaPer?
Perique is really interesting in that it varies depending on the particular type and what it's mixed with. It can have a dried fruit sweetness or sometimes a musty chocolatey type flavor. Most blends use Acadian Perique which is a mixture of true perique leaf and burley, processed in the traditional manner.

My understanding is that the majority of true St. James Perique goes to the Santa Fe Tobacco company for their American Spirit cigarettes. That said, Russ from P&C and Mark Ryan collaborated on a project a while back that featured different perique varietals. If it's still available, might be a good way to discover how different it can be. And definitely try some straight VAs too, which will give you a better idea of what perique can add.

My understanding is that the majority of true St. James Perique goes to the Santa Fe Tobacco company for their American Spirit cigarettes.
Mark Ryan would spit his cigar out and draw fists if he heard that, ha ha. La Poche is NOT connected with them, and he spent about 20 minutes of a lecture telling us what sons-o-biches those guys are, and how they don't even remove the stems from their swill, ha ha.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Mark Ryan would spit his cigar out and draw fists if he heard that, ha ha. La Poche is NOT connected with them, and he spent about 20 minutes of a lecture telling us what sons-o-biches those guys are, and how they don't even remove the stems from their swill, ha ha.
Agreed there. The pouches say "no stems," and what's inside every pouch of American Spirit? Stems, that's what.

Reactions: J.GANDY