Does my Briar Pipe really Need Resting ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

26 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
9 Fresh Radice Pipes
33 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
18 Fresh Chacom Pipes
56 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pipesbywoo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2023
Los Angeles
www.etsy.com
I don't rest my briar pipes on purpose but I've noticed they smoke increasingly wet when used back to back. That said, I only regularly smoke out of four pipes - three of which are meerschaums. The meerschaums tend to smoke a bit cooler and can be smoked back to back more successfully, in my opinion.
Regarding cobs, I have yet to smoke a cob for some reason...
As for maintenance, I give each pipe a light ream and run a pipe cleaner through after each smoke.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Generally, I tend not to overcomplicate things, pipe rotation included, but I feel like when I smoke the same pipe back to back for, say, a week the quality of smoke starts to deteriorate noticeably, acquiring an unpleasant ashy whiff, however thorough clean I give the pipe after each smoke. I think, cleaning isn't the only thing required for a perfect smoke, a well dried-out chamber seems to be equally important. In my climate, a night-long rest is apparently not enough to dry the chamber properly, so I avoid smoking the same pipe day after day.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Generally, I tend not to overcomplicate things, pipe rotation included, but I feel like when I smoke the same pipe back to back for, say, a week the quality of smoke starts to deteriorate noticeably, acquiring an unpleasant ashy whiff, however thorough clean I give the pipe after each smoke. I think, cleaning isn't the only thing required for a perfect smoke, a well dried-out chamber seems to be equally important. In my climate, a night-long rest is apparently not enough to dry the chamber properly, so I avoid smoking the same pipe day after day.
I agree. Even with what I consider good cleaning after every smoke, I feel they perform much better (drier?) with longer rest. Rarely use one twice in a row.

denholrl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2011
I've got a peterson donegal rocky passed down from a friend of mine (it was actually his dad's pipe) and love the way it smokes

The problem is, i only have this one briar in my rotation alongside some other cobs. The cobs i have don't tend to smoke the way the briar does.

Provided i rest the peterson after each smoke, let the pipe cool down, run a pipe cleaner in them, are they good to go for smoking everyday ?
Not really. You need to let it dry out for several days or a week before re-using. I do sometimes re-fill a pipe to enjoy back-to-back smokes but then do dry it out.

Reactions: OzPiper