Does my Briar Pipe really Need Resting ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
4 Fresh Yang Kun Pipes
3 Fresh Manduela Pipes
3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The problem is, i only have this one briar in my rotation alongside some other cobs. The cobs i have don't tend to smoke the way the briar does.

Provided i rest the peterson after each smoke, let the pipe cool down, run a pipe cleaner in them, are they good to go for smoking everyday ?
It really depends on how wet or dry you smoke.
And how many bowls you smoke a day 🤔

If you only smoke 1 or 2 bowls a day, and you are a dry smoker, then the one briar will do you.
If you are a wet smoker and you smoke multiple bowls a day, then the briar will sour eventually. 😝

I like my briars to dry out thoroughly before I smoke them again.
I get more enjoyable smokes out of them that way.

A bit like sneakers/gym shoes.
If you have hot sweaty feet, you really don't want to live in the same pair day in, day out :eek:
You can, but not really advisable. Just saying 😁

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I always let my briar pipes rest….. at least for a few minutes between bowls. 🙂

Seriously, I never PURPOSEFULLY rest my briar pipes….. they eventually get a rest at some point…. either I fancy smoking a different pipe…. or at least when I go to bed. 🙂

Smoking Pipe402

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2023
Fairbury, NE
I use to rotate my pipes carefully not to smoke the same one twice in one week. Now I just smoke the same three or four whenever I feel like it. Probably not recommended but I shoot a little air with my air compressor through my pipe after each smoke before running a pipe cleaner through it.

Reactions: yanoJL

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I use to rotate my pipes carefully not to smoke the same one twice in one week. Now I just smoke the same three or four whenever I feel like it. Probably not recommended but I shoot a little air with my air compressor through my pipe after each smoke before running a pipe cleaner through it.
Some cleaners shed fluff
Using the air compressor AFTER may be the way to go 🤔

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Be sure to occasionally run a pipe cleaner through it when smoking.

I’d also recommend to wipe the chamber down clean after smoking with a paper towel and let it cool down, before smoking a new bowel.

Wiping down this way, also helps to maintain a nice thin carbon layer.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
Many different opinions, but I always rest my pipes to let them dry. I run a pipe cleaner through first, but I think it helps moisture left in the mortise.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Last week I ran the same Briarlee Illustrious (billiard/Dublin of a sib-brand of Pipes by Lee), four days in a row at work, multiple bowls per day. All I did was unscrew the screw tenon and blow it out, let it cool, then repeat. I ran a cleaner through airway about 1X/day.
Pipe is probably 70 years old, and was barely smoked when I got it.
It did awesome, and sits in my pipe case in lunchbox, gonna do the same this upcoming week.26991846-BCA5-40C9-AC22-33A02B7AD464.jpeg

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I rotate, but that's mostly because I only have one pipe per blend type. It's one of the many topics that there's lots of dispute with. Some people swear by rotating and say it's very unwise not to, others insist it's a scam created by pipe salesmen to sell more pipes.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I rotate, but that's mostly because I only have one pipe per blend type. It's one of the many topics that there's lots of dispute with. Some people swear by rotating and say it's very unwise not to, others insist it's a scam created by pipe salesmen to sell more pipes.
Hmmm….. who needs a “scam” to sell more pipes to a pipe smoker?!? 😉

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
A briar that has been properly cleaned and given a rest has been demonstrated to allow the tobacco to come across as a cleaner smoke as evidenced by smokers far and wide. Must you rest it? No. Does a good cleaning help and is a good cleaning essential in maintaining the pipe for a cleaner smoke? Yes.

Does doing both allow for an even cleaner smoke? Yes

I have spoken.

Uruss

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2022
Alabama, USA
As I have multiple pipes. I give minimum 24 hours in between smokes. But they usually get much longer.

If I had only one briar, I'd probably buy a couple cobs.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
A briar that has been properly cleaned and given a rest has been demonstrated to allow the tobacco to come across as a cleaner smoke as evidenced by smokers far and wide. Must you rest it? No. Does a good cleaning help and is a good cleaning essential in maintaining the pipe for a cleaner smoke? Yes.

Does doing both allow for an even cleaner smoke? Yes

I have spoken.
And thus it is now written. Peace be with you.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I rotate. Even the cobs. Just like the idea of clean, dry pipe. But I noticed that most smokers who smoke one pipe multiple times back to back don't seem to have much issues as long as they clean and dr out the pipe after each smoke. If uncleaned, you might run into skunk pipe sooner than later.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I rotate. Even the cobs. Just like the idea of clean, dry pipe. But I noticed that most smokers who smoke one pipe multiple times back to back don't seem to have much issues as long as they clean and dr out the pipe after each smoke. If uncleaned, you might run into skunk pipe sooner than later.
In my experience it is sooner rather than later. It may also be that the smoker accepts a certain amount of skunk as normal.

Human nature, being what it will be, also means there will always be those whose contrarian nature takes exception to whatever the experiences are that reflect most people.

Reactions: bullet08