PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A lot of pipe smokers are definitely contrarian and opinionated. Sometimes, when they agree with something I've posted, it's because they know what they're doing. Other times, such as when they disagree with something I've posted, it's because they're utterly clueless. :nana:
It takes a pair of big bowls to survive in this community.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
it's the moisture level of the tobacco, the nature of the pack, cadence, and snorking, that affect flavor more than anything else.
Yes! Yes! Yes!
If I may utter a contrarian opinion, those who say bowl geometry is more than significantly influential for taste have rocks in their head.
This is my subjective opinion not to be overcome by yours, unless of course you can state objective proof, which I've never seen done. I'm talking about an experimental design that isolates all variables except the independent variable whose alteration by the test is accurately measured. You offer me the test design to get my agreement that yes, you are really testing what you say you are, and I agree with the capability of your measurement tool (validity). Then you tell the world about your test and your results are replicated by them (reliability). Crossing the gulf between my subjectivity and yours requires the objective, proven fact of the scientific method.
Put up or shut up and forget the crusade. None of us have proved anything, and it could be fairly said that is because we know nothing.

those who say bowl geometry is more than significantly influential for taste have rocks in their head.

Actually, we have argued this point, toe to toe for a long time now. And, with all of my evidence presented that there is a difference between smoking a large bowl, verses smoking a small bowl, you still continue to demand proof, while offering none yourself.
Over many threads, I have offered literary evidence of this topic being of discussion for decades, maybe even centuries. Also, a thorough breakdown of why the tastes are different between bowl sizes, with images of bowl geometry.

Then there is the whole argument that cigars are sold in different ring sizes, because some people prefer the small diameters of the same leaf, and others prefer the larger ring sizes. Why would this be any different for pipes?
What it breaks down to is that a taller more narrow bowl gives you less smoke per sip, with less leaf actually combusting per sip, and less mass of heated leaf giving off essential oils. Whereas, a larger pipe gives more smoke, with a more robust taste for the exact opposite reason as per using a taller more narrow bowl.
Now, all you have offered is... nothing to the argument. To me it would seem that someone who smokes these two pipes with the same tobacco and reports no difference at all in the taste is the one with rocks in his brains... or at least is pitiable in their lack of being able to discern tastes.
And, as to proving... all I have to say is that I merely offer an explanation for what should be an obvious difference. And, I would encourage people to get a few pipes with extremely different chamber sizes, and try it for yourself.

Ash, I think it has become my opening act. Every time the subject comes up, salted will give this opening spiel, and I follow with all of the research and explanations. It's our Laurel and Hardy routine. H aha. Until, someone else posts about bowl sizes, and then he says the exact same thing.

I am not sure whether he actually cares that other people can taste a difference between chamber sizes, or if he is just giving me a segway to repost what I have posted time and time again.

Anyways, I await his scientific evidence in kind. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Does geometry encompass chamber size?. I thought geometry differentials was in the shape, and naught to do with dimensions of a constant ratio.
So, two questions to ponder yet again: How does - or does?- chamber size affect the smoke? And how does chamber shape affect the smoke? The answer to both is: Yes, if you think it does.
Discuss amongst yourselves.....

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Bowl geometry most definitely affects flavor. Do all cigar ring gages taste the same? Of course they don't. In general, I prefer a narrower bowl, .75 ID.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
*stepping carefully around the hornet nest to comment* I recommend that you try all of your tobaccos in different size pipes and get a feel for what you perceive to be a "better" taste before moving on. Each blend can be different, and some people recommend certain bowl sizes for certain blends. I don't think that you stumbled on to some universal truth, because no, not everyone want a big bowl for every blends, but you may have found something that helps you.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Does geometry encompass chamber size?. I thought geometry differentials was in the shape, and naught to do with dimensions of a constant ratio.
Bowl geometry has nothing whatsoever to do with chamber size, only with chamber proportions. There was an interesting article of bowl geometry and burn rates on the long defunct A Passion For Pipes site that dealt with this. Fortunately, before Neill sealed all access, even using the wayback machine, I was able to download it.
Opinions will differ, and they are all opinions, however couched in reference. Pipes are individual things. Every block of wood used is different from the next. Tobacco blends vary from batch to batch, both in flavor and in composition. Different years, different crops, alterations to the blend to keep it within parameters or changes to a blend because a component is no longer available.
The only consistency is inconsistency. Will two bowls of a blend taste differently in two bowls of different shape? Probably. Will two bowls of a blend taste differently in two different bowls of the same size? Probably. At least that's what I've experienced. Will prep of the tobacco have a more profound effect on the flavors than anything else? In my experience, absolutely and with out a doubt.
But that's my experience and like everything else posted in this thread, it's an opinion, and not a fact.
So go buy some pipes and build your own experience. That's about the only valid reference point there is.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I said neither of us is capable, and nor has anyone else thus far, of giving objective fact arrived at through an experimental design showing conclusive proof of one variable's effect on another. I said neither of us. I said what we both have is our subjectivity and that for either of us to overcome the other's requires objective fact, which neither of us have. Until these exchanges have only their errant charm to recommend them as they are opinion and thus of dubious merit.

kiltedpiper

Lurker
Dec 6, 2018
It makes sense that it should, if only because the larger size, theoretically, should allow for more even burning and mixing of the tobaccos. But since its something super subjective like this, its virtually impossible to test scientifically, if only because there's no profit to be made out of it and thus unlikely someone with the funds to do it beyond an armchair test.
It does give me something to think about and a thought to focus myself on while sampling various tobaccos in my different pipes. Gotta do something to try and build and fill out my palette. I keep reading JimInks' review on the tobaccoreviews.com and wonder how much I'm missing out on that I don't even notice yet.
Hell, half the fun of this hobby is experimenting and trying different blends and different pipes and different drinks to go along with them and all that jazz anyway.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Well yes, I did say that. The part left out are the boulders in mine. I don't know why I keep posting to a discussion that goes nowhere, and for me to complain about what you don't know shows only what I don't know. So I say publicly, for all time, about this topic and pervasively that I know Nothing! Please don't keep me from posting all my subjectivity as fact. That's what I do best.
I apologize.

I apologize.

What? don't give up so easily. Now, you get back in here and keep arguing. Why, there must be at least three contingencies that you could make, and a whole heap more you could add to the Refutation.
Eh, just ribbing you ya...
just to reiterate...And, as to proving... all I have to say is that I merely offer an explanation for what should be an obvious difference. And, I would encourage people to get a few pipes with extremely different chamber sizes, and try it for yourself.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Yes, you did say that. This is what I've been waiting for you to say, but when I read it I discounted it so I could continue stating my subjectivity as fact. Like you I might write "ha, ha" here were I not groveling in lame. Ha, Ha.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In a fascist or otherwise degenerate culture, especially where there is control over the media. Hmmnm, , ,sounds like the US.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just because there is an absence of complete scientific/analogic evidence doesn't mean you default to something not being true. In other words, just because there isn't scientific evidence to prove bowl geometry affects the flavors doesn't prove bowl geometry has no affect on the flavors. There is plenty of anecdotal and testimonial evidence to support bowl geometry affecting flavor. In fact, likely more so than the opposite. Further, common sense must be taken into account as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.