PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Will the bamboo shank color or darken either with age or smoking?

Never owned one of these pipes and I’ve read that makers sometimes use flame to artificially darken the knuckles for cosmetic purposes, but wondered if they colored naturally from age or use.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Cool! I bought a pair of gorgeous Tsuge pipes from Dave Neeb and both have bamboo shanks. If they are half as nice looking as the photos then they are going to be real stunners. And Dave says the pictures don’t do them justice and he’s always been dead accurate in his descriptions so I’m pretty excited to see them.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
My only bamboo-shanked pipe started out with white bamboo and now, after many years, it is a golden brown. As the bowl is blasted with a black stain, I would have preferred it if it had stayed white.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Cool! I bought a pair of gorgeous Tsuge pipes from Dave Neeb and both have bamboo shanks. If they are half as nice looking as the photos then they are going to be real stunners. And Dave says the pictures don’t do them justice and he’s always been dead accurate in his descriptions so I’m pretty excited to see them.
Glad you bought them. Had my eye on them for a while. Have one bamboo Tsuge which I love.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I have a Tsuge Tokyo series sandblast Bamboo, and I agree. Beautiful pipe, and great smoker as well! Picked it up pretty much unsmoked off the 'Bay for a great price. I feel like Tsuge doesn't get enough love from the forums. They make some really nice pipes, even outside the Ikebana series.

Attachments

• C0F2CA82-2275-4715-A655-2335F226B136.jpeg
    C0F2CA82-2275-4715-A655-2335F226B136.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I have a Tsuge Tokyo series sandblast Bamboo, and I agree. Beautiful pipe, and great smoker as well! Picked it up pretty much unsmoked off the 'Bay for a great price. I feel like Tsuge doesn't get enough love from the forums. They make some really nice pipes, even outside the Ikebana series.
I love that shape and have put off pulling the trigger on one. The prices have only gone up.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Had my eye in several pipes lately from Dave that have disappeared as I was dithering around. Figured I’d best jump on these two.

Couldn’t decide on the blast versus smooth, so I bought both, lol.
Yeah, man, I figured there'd be a good chance they'd be sold before I could pull the trigger. I was leaning towards the smooth, but the blasted one was awesome, too! Hope they serve you well!

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Yeah, man, I figured there'd be a good chance they'd be sold before I could pull the trigger. I was leaning towards the smooth, but the blasted one was awesome, too! Hope they serve you well!
I see them pop up new on SP all the time. A bit more out of pocket, but they're there. I saw a blasted one unsmoked on Blue Room not too long ago too, but it lasted a week, maybe a little more. I have a few lower end Tsuges, but they're well made and smoke really well. There was an unsmoked Ikebana on mke-law that i was eyeballing pretty hard. Probably a good chance I'll get it when i mosey my way back over there and it's still available. Been trying to hold of in case anything else shows up anywhere.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I see them pop up new on SP all the time. A bit more out of pocket, but they're there. I saw a blasted one unsmoked on Blue Room not too long ago too, but it lasted a week, maybe a little more. I have a few lower end Tsuges, but they're well made and smoke really well. There was an unsmoked Ikebana on mke-law that i was eyeballing pretty hard. Probably a good chance I'll get it when i mosey my way back over there and it's still available. Been trying to hold of in case anything else shows up anywhere.
Nice! You have one of their Tasting line pipes, right? Been interested in those for a while. Always nice to have a good smoking pipe at such budget a friendly prices.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Nice! You have one of their Tasting line pipes, right? Been interested in those for a while. Always nice to have a good smoking pipe at such budget a friendly prices.
Yeah, i also have a topper and one of their Spider pipes. The Spider pipe is pretty cool in that it completely disassembles, and where the bowl threads onto is a kind of reservoir to catch moisture. Never had a falcon but i imagine something similar to that.