PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I prefer broken, slightly rubbed out flake for my smoking habits/method. Thin shag just burns way to fast and hot for me. I can suck down a bowl of shag in about 7 minutes.

Reactions: JMcQ

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
If I don’t just fold the flake I will usually rub out very well or cube cut. I have yet to grind my tobacco

Reactions: rushx9
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have problems with extremely long ribbons going down and clogging the airway.

like, do some people just shove that pile of hay down the pipe?

With Five Brothers I do. Just shove that mat of tobacco right in there. If its dry enough it helps it to burn right. I don't know what Frank would say about that. But hey, we don't even know who Frank is.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I use a coffee grinder on tough, wet flakes. It is the ONLY way I've found to get FVF to burn without relights.

Reactions: ray47

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Way back in 1996, famed pipe and tobacco legend Michael Butera was the subject of an article in Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine. In it, he wrote that he used a one speed food processor to grind all of his tobacco. He said by doing so, it made the tobacco easier to load, pack evenly and keep lit, and eliminated "hot spots."He also said it mixed the variants in the tobacco more evenly which provided consistent taste sensations. Finally, he said DO NOT use a juicer or coffee grinder because the rpm speed would turn the tobacco into puree.

I've been using that method ever since with a Black and Decker one speed food processor (easily found on Amazon). I admit that I was so eager to try the method that before I got the processor, I used my wife's juicer the first time and she was quite unhappy to find shards of Latakia in her freshly made orange juice the next morning. I thought that I had cleaned out the juicer very well... but, I guess not. I got out of the house quickly and went to work early that day.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Purchased 2 of these of Amazon for under 20$. They do a nice job on medallions and plugs. The pyramid shaped teeth doesn't pulverize the tobacco. 1 or 2 twists and it's a broken flake. 3-4 twists and you have more of a ribbon. Works pretty well.
il_570xN.1803614855_8kpb.jpg

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Occasionally, I find a large chunk of wadded up leaf in the blend. In these cases , i usually just stuff it in the bowl. I also have clipped it into smaller pieces with a pair of small scissors.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shred sounds to me like elongated pieces of tobacco, which I would usually smoke as-is unless they were too thick. I have one of those little hand graters that does a nice job of breaking up flake/coin/plug/and rope if desired, but it is more grating than shredding (by my word choice). In many cases, just hand rubbing into a pottery bowl suffices. But yes, I sure rub out or grate blends, sometimes loose tobacco that is a little too irregular to smoke evenly. I'm happier when I do the prep in advance, so I'm not awaiting my pipe smoking while I fiddle around with it.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.