PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
just like the title says? I was thinking, is there any reason to not let the whole tin of a moist flake dry out at once for easy access when you want to smoke? Seems like it would be better, but I haven't seen people talking about it, so maybe there is a reason
I've mentioned it a couple of times a year for the last 4-5 years. And have about a half a pound of various blends in Mason jars all ready to smoke because of pre-drying them then jarring or rejarring.

I find a small hygrometer (ca $5) extremely useful to hit the right moisture level.

Reactions: OlJawBone

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
yeah one reason is if you don't get to it quickly it can really dry the whole way out. I personally open one tin and mostly smoke out of bulk but I let the tin dry as time goes on.
Nope. If you dry the whole tin on day one, you then put it in an air tight Mason jar, and enjoy tobacco at the right moisture level for weeks and months.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I tend to set out about three pipe's worth of tobacco to dry at once and after packing my pipe pour the rest back in the jar. In my beginner days this was something I did inadvertently by misjudging how much baccy my pipe could hold, but now it's intentional and deliberate.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Tobacco isn't that fragile and the moisture level point where it can be smoked isn't that exacting. If I lived in a very dry climate, I'd be more careful. I'm just finishing up a tin of HU Dockworker I opened in FL six months ago and had been open in Indiana for two months. Round twisty lid. It's in perfect smoking condition.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.