PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
just like the title says? I was thinking, is there any reason to not let the whole tin of a moist flake dry out at once for easy access when you want to smoke? Seems like it would be better, but I haven't seen people talking about it, so maybe there is a reason

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I haven’t done this “intentionally” myself, but I’ve seen some forum members state they have, and found it successful too.

Why not grab a tin and experiment? Dry down half and jar, and just dip into the half as required. I’d be interested to hear if you find any difference between the last few flakes left in each jar

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I've found too much flavor loss if I dry too much for too long. I've experimented trying to keep a few days' worth dry, and varies depending on the blend, but I normally will now only dry a bowl or two at a time...I find it's worth the effort.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Always. Where I live it takes weeks to dry out a tin of tobacco. If I were to dry one bowls worth of tobacco for every smoke, I'd have small tobacco piles laying around everywhere, as even a very small amount needs a couple of days to dry up.
Often I'll need to utilize some kind of heat source to get the job done. Nothing gets too dry here, ever.

Aug 1, 2012
If you're a higher volume smoker, it works well. If you're an occasional smoker, not so much. There are some blends that need to be open for a day or three to lose their fireproof quality too.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Always. Where I live it takes weeks to dry out a tin of tobacco. If I were to dry one bowls worth of tobacco for every smoke, I'd have small tobacco piles laying around everywhere, as even a very small amount needs a couple of days to dry up.
Often I'll need to utilize some kind of heat source to get the job done. Nothing gets too dry here, ever.
You have my sympathy...I've lived in a dry climate most of my life and have little tolerance for humidity.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I bought bulk, if it wasn't the right moisture, I spread it out on cookie sheets and either spritzed or air-dried all of it at once.

Reactions: OlJawBone

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Nope. A bowl at a time. I smoke a bowl a day and it works for me. Even with only 10 jars open at a time, it takes months to finish a tin. If I dry bunch at once, I'll probably over dry some come time for smoke.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
just like the title says? I was thinking, is there any reason to not let the whole tin of a moist flake dry out at once for easy access when you want to smoke? Seems like it would be better, but I haven't seen people talking about it, so maybe there is a reason
yeah one reason is if you don't get to it quickly it can really dry the whole way out. I personally open one tin and mostly smoke out of bulk but I let the tin dry as time goes on.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Most of what I smoke doesn't need drying, but if it does I will typically get it to smoking shape and then jar it to maintain. On other blends, I've had some happy accidents popping tins and then forgetting about them for a 6 months. Experiences with pipe smoking constantly teach me that there are no rules, only basic guidelines.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I dry out an ounce at a time usually for a given blend. And I usually have a few blends going at a time. I don't think it matters much if you are going to smoke it in a month or less. It's not going to age very much in that time Anyway. If it will take longer than a month to smoke through it then maybe you want to have optimal aging humidity and dry less at a time.

I just dry it out and throw it back in a jar so it's ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.