PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually meant what dottle? I smoke bone dry tobacco and there's usually not much left to even consider remains.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Never tried and don't plan to. Life is too short to endure a mediocre or bad smoke. If I reach a point where I can't afford a fresh bowl of tobacco, I will simply quit smoking. Besides that, there is rarely much if any dottle left from my smokes. Seems to me if you smoke tobacco at the correct moisture level and pack it correctly, it should mostly burn to the bottom of the bowl.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
You will thank me when the great 'Tobacco Prohibition' arrives and a pouch of P.A sells on the black markets for $100 and Condor is being dealt in dime bags! :rofl: Only if it is old Irish Condor will I buy a dime bag!!
Probably too many years of saving roaches for dry days,...yeah, I remember those days, too.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I never save dottles as they smell and taste nasty. The only tobacco with a tasty dottle was Star of the East Flake. Or maybe it was just the last third of the bowl, leaving no dottle at all. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The closest I come is to dump the loose ash from the top of the pipe, tamp gently, and see if there's enough left at the bottom to light and smoke. Sometimes I get another round from the bottom of the pipe, and if so, there is not enough dottle left to pick through. When there is a little pile of unburned tobacco at the bottom, I just write it off. If you smoke at all, pipes are the thriftiest way, so getting too cost saving may overdo a good intention.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I always aim to smoke the bowl down to ash. Only dottle remaining should be a couple of specks of unburnt tobacco if I do it right. So, in a way, I do smoke the dottle.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well it seems Sherlock did this because he liked the extra nicotine and not out of thrift. You know with the whole drying out the tobacco in his slipper over the fireplace and all that. Yeah people did that back then, but not to safe money more to amp up the nicotine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
By the time I am done chasing flavor, what ever tobacco is left gets dumped. I have never thought of saving my dottle to smoke later. I just wouldn't do it.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I do.I try to smoke down to the ash,but not so much as to char the bow,and if the smoke is going really well,at the right Humidity level,, I pass right through the Dottle without even noticing.which is about 98 % of the timel.In the immortal words of Ed Burak...........”Light up the ashes”

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
A practice born from necessity.
Would I do it? If the situation demanded it, yep. :|

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ever since I read this original post, I've been avoiding looking in my ashtray, but I finally did. Ugh. No thank you and no thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.