PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Occasionally I save up my dottles in the corner of the ash tray and smoke them the next day as the first bowl of the morning. Its quite a life affirming nicotine hit with the morning expresso. Anyone else tried this out?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there are scenes in Sherlock Holmes where he picks out the unburned tobacco from his ashtray, in his case depicted as severe thrift. Despite my inclination toward the trait, I've never done that, on the basis that the dottle has served its purpose as a sort of filter at the bottom of the bowl and is probably pretty harsh. I'm intrigued that that gives an extra nic hit. I guess I'd rather just smoke some Five Brothers or other nic buzz blend, though I seldom smoke strong tobacco for the nicotine. It seems somewhat labor intensive, but if it is enjoyable for you, I'd say it's a good plan.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Cant say I have ever smoked my dottle. 9 times out of 10, I try to smoke my bowl down to ash or the very least the bottom 1/16th or so of a bowl, so I dont think I would ever have enough to begin with. On top of that, I smoke outside therefore my ashtray is outside and the humidity is outrageous. I have a hard time smoking a half a bowl that got left outside overnight, it taste like tar and garbage and just becomes a damp mess. But more power to you! I'm sure that nic hit is nice lol

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Probably too many years of saving roaches for dry days, but once I empty my pipe, I consider whatever I'm dumped to be over and done with. I do tend to smoke my strongest blends in the morning, but I get enough nicotine from Dark Flake or Brown No. 4 on their own. But maybe I am missing an undiscovered delight? It doesn't taste bad?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It actually tastes pretty interesting and surprisingly doesn't have a lot of bite. It probably wouldn't work too well in a high humidity environment but NYC does not get too humid until the end of August. I guess it works better with plug and such like since you have a chunkier dottle to recycle. Its only a once in a while treat but definitely worth a try for the experience!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I tried it once around 40 years ago, and it was nasty. Never had the desire to try it again. Sherlock Holmes must have been a cheapskate with no taste buds.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was fascinated by Conan Doyle's imagination. Was he a pipe smoker?
As to doing so myself, there is seldom any smokable dottle unless I forget the pipe isn't smoked to the end, and then dig out the ash. But when I return from B.C., I will try to save up enough for a bowl's worth. In the name of science, of course.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I can honestly say I don't care if I chuck half a bowl. Even with a premium blend this is still less than 50¢. That being said, I've learned if I don't have time to sit down and properly enjoy a full bowl to simply load less tobacco to correspond with the time I do have. No sense in purposely wasting tobacco. Also, no sense in tolerating the dregs trying to save a fraction of a penny.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You will thank me when the great 'Tobacco Prohibition' arrives and a pouch of P.A sells on the black markets for $100 and Condor is being dealt in dime bags! :rofl:

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
No. Reminds me of when I was a kid with no money rooting through ashtrays smoking cigarette butts.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can honestly say I don't care if I chuck half a bowl. Even with a premium blend this is still less than 50¢. That being said, I've learned if I don't have time to sit down and properly enjoy a full bowl to simply load less tobacco to correspond with the time I do have. No sense in purposely wasting tobacco. Also, no sense in tolerating the dregs trying to save a fraction of a penny.
You smoke a bowl for 20 minutes. A beautiful girl rings the door bell. You put the pipe down, and have waking fantasies for a few minutes. An hour or two later, you remember the pipe sitting in the crystal ashtray in the drawing room. You return, fire it up and resume where you left off. It could even be the next day. As long as the tobacco is not wet.
And, everyone should try the dottle bit. You know, for science!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
No, I do not. As described by jpmcwjr, I frequently have beautiful women coming to spend time with me and if that interrupts a pipe I've no problem continuing to smoke that pipe the next day or even two days later (I joke, I've a beautiful wife whose tolerance of me is astounding).
I don't know why I view an unfinished pipe verse dumped dottle differently. Once I dump out a pipe it is really, truly, done.
Don't mistake me for some haughty patrician. I am still a plebeian! If you smoke dottle you'll suffer no judgement from the likes of me.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Nah. Even at Australian tobacco prices once I dump the contents they're dumped (added to which I smoke outside...)

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
No. Whenever the tobacco takes on the flavors of the south end of a north-bound cow (or so I've been told), I just pitch it.
Life's too short for dottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.