Do you Smoke Right handed or Left handed?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
A lot of professional athletes can work with either arm/hand, like Derek Jeter, as an example. I think many people who get selected for pilot training in the military also have a remarkable adaptivity in tasking their right and left side, and a superior sense of balance, and of knowing which way is down. I guess if you are aware of consciously "trying" to do exacting work with the non-dominant hand, even if you do it successfully, you probably aren't talented in that way, like I'm not. You have to do some of that when you use tools, drive, or dance for that matter. But the scale of aptitude is pretty wide. Some lefties in the old days, like the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, were trained to use their right hands as dominant, which was quite a struggle, and much to their credit, and may have challenged their emotional development along the way. I bet there are studies on this; if they were written with any coherence, they'd be interesting to read.
My grandparents spent a lot of time trying to force my oldest brother to use his right hand as they thought being left handed was very sinister. Fortunately by the time I came along (#4 brother) they had long given up. #3 is the odd one out; the rest of us are all lefties (neither mum nor dad were left handed).

We once had so many left handers in the last company I worked for that one Bulgarian customer who had only met left handed employees eventually asked in one meeting if everyone in England was left handed!

Last edited:
My grandparents spent a lot of time trying to force my oldest brother to use his right hand as they thought being left handed was very sinister.
WTF! Were you guys born in the 19th century? My dad was left handed, and said that they even had lefty scissors in the backwoods little one room schoolhouse he attended in the early 50's. No mention of using leeches or branding irons. And, if it was going to happen, it would have out there in the boonies. puffy

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
My grandparents spent a lot of time trying to force my oldest brother to use his right hand as they thought being left handed was very sinister. Fortunately by the time I came along (#4 brother) they had long given up. #3 is the odd one out; the rest of us are all lefties (neither mum nor dad were left handed).

We once had so many left handers in the last company I worked for that one Bulgarian customer who had only met left handed employees eventually asked in one meeting if everyone in England was left handed!
I was in Catholic pre school were they teach you to write, there were actually 0 left handed children in my class. In the end I would have been better off to learn to write left handed, as now everyone guesses i'm a doctor. Dunno if the joke is international, but in the Netherlands we call a unreadable writing calligraphy a "doctors handwritting". Vikings wouldnt understand my runes, neither Egyptians will understand my hyroglifics. My youngest son is a true lefty, even playing soccer is left orientated.

On the topic, I light and tamp right, I normally clench. If I take it in my hand ill normally do that left.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
WTF! Were you guys born in the 19th century? My dad was left handed, and said that they even had lefty scissors in the backwoods little one room schoolhouse he attended in the early 50's. No mention of using leeches or branding irons. And, if it was going to happen, it would have out there in the boonies. puffy
19th century? Nope. Northern Ireland... ...actually, yes, my grandparents were born in the 19th C.

It still happens, my sister in law (wife of my right handed brother) used to run a pre-school in the 1990's in Cambridgeshire, England. One of the parents asked her to ensure his daughter only used her right hand as he'd noticed a tendency for her to be left handed. She asked why this would be a problem "because she'll never be able to work with computers and technology" came his reply. After she pointed out that her husband's three brothers were all left handed and two were senior managers in IT companies she refused and told him to "just accept it that your daughter is left handed, like 10% of the population". Apparently the girl's father is a GP!

(not sure if GP is a term used in US English - tr. - General Practitioner - aka family doctor)

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Some lefties in the old days, like the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, were trained to use their right hands as dominant, which was quite a struggle, and much to their credit, and may have challenged their emotional development along the way.
The religious overlords of the day deemed anything on the left was evil.
Considering todays political climate they weren't that wide of the mark after all. ?

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
For me, it's depends which side of my mouth pipe located. In a same time location depends of the taste filing at this moment, if you understand what I mean.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a lefty so I light my pipe and tamp with my left hand and I clench on the right side of the mouth at all times. I was all over the place sports wise.

Tennis -lefty
Basketball p- lefty
Baseball - played the field lefty, batted righty
Hockey - righty for shooting, lefty for playing goal. My glove was on right hand and my left had the stick.
Golf- righty
Football - lefty throwing, field goals and punting - righty
Volley Ball - best hand was lefty
Racquetball - lefty
Soccer - best foot was - righty
Table Tennis - lefty
Badminton - lefty
Lacrosse - best side was righty
Snow Skiing - most control side righty.
Water Polo - best hand was lefty

I am sure I missed a couple but these are enough. I have no idea why I do so many things righty.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
Guys, can you proof this new thing I'm working on? Hit me up at the Eagle and Child next Tuesday.
Maybe we can just have a forum called "The Eagle and Child" or "The Bird and Baby." Had a nice meal in that pub in October, 2018. Nostalgia has never been so thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.