Do You Smoke Primarily with Nose or Mouth or Both?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
All of the above. learning the retrohale was really a game changer. It really helps to zone in on flavours and is basically necessary to taste what's going on if I'm outside and there is a breeze or wind. If I'm sitting in my porch or a non windy area I'll tend to do it a little less as I get that sidestream smoke.

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Keeping the tobacco simmering, just at the edge of going out, while snorking, and you'll get the most defined flavors from the blend you're smoking. There's no substitute.
This is why I can't retrohale much (like every 10-12th puff maybe) aside from the fact I'm like the kid in the parade always having to skip to get back to left, right, left as I've drifted off to right, left, right. Frequently smoking a bit hot and wet (getting better but still) makes the retrohale less tasty and more harsh. Still working on the entire process while enjoying and not forcing.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I stick the pipe in my mouth. Light the pipe. Puff away slowly. I don't do anything that puts smoke anywhere near my lungs or my throat. I can taste what I smoke as my taste hasn't changed in four decades. I have never given this retro inhale thing a whole lot of thought. I guess it is whatever makes your experience enjoyable. We once had a former member on here called Haja that was into rubbing Dead Sea salt onto his pipe amongst other places and had a fascinating line in disposable lighters and other strange beliefs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is why I can't retrohale much (like every 10-12th puff maybe) aside from the fact I'm like the kid in the parade always having to skip to get back to left, right, left as I've drifted off to right, left, right. Frequently smoking a bit hot and wet (getting better but still) makes the retrohale less tasty and more harsh. Still working on the entire process while enjoying and not forcing.
This is where finding the proper moisture level for your tobacco blend is fundamental. Too moist and flavors are veiled plus the tobacco is difficult to keep simmering on that razor's edge.

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
I stick the pipe in my mouth. Light the pipe. Puff away slowly. I don't do anything that puts smoke anywhere near my lungs or my throat. I can taste what I smoke as my taste hasn't changed in four decades. I have never given this retro inhale thing a whole lot of thought. I guess it is whatever makes your experience enjoyable. We once had a former member on here called Haja that was into rubbing Dead Sea salt onto his pipe amongst other places and had a fascinating line in disposable lighters and other strange beliefs.

I think this is what I do. Being mostly a clencher I tend to puff away gently...small amounts of smoke go up my nose naturally rather than by design....especially nice when smoking Condor.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I generally retro hale the first few puffs from the light as those tend to be the strongest and most flavorful. After smoking for a few minutes I don't really think about it too much. I'd probably say 50/50. Give me a good strong perique retrohale like GL Pease Fillmore and it just reminds me of why I love pipe smoking.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
both. More through the nose though probably. I find the contrast between taste and smell very pleasing. In balkan type blends I find breathing through the nose only takes a good portion of the latakia out of the smoke, making the other components easier to distinguish. I give it oral Then take a sip again for a good dose of latakia at any given point in the smoke.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
So given that tastebud mapping is very much pseudo-science written by a German dude in 1901, Tongue map - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue_map, I'd take the advice of inhaling to taste ALLLL the flavor of a blend with a big grain of salt.

I like using the breathe method with a bit of retrohaling thrown in so I gotta go with both. Your mouth may taste but your nose influences those flavors more than your tongue.