Do You Smoke Primarily with Nose or Mouth or Both?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

While I would guess that most would say both, I tend to enjoy my va flakes with my nose. The mouth taste of a blend is not very important so long it isn’t outright offensive. The wisps and tendrils off the bowl are what I’m after. This could be why the OTC burleys seem boring to me. I also don’t inhale so perhaps my tastebuds at the back of my mouth aren’t stimulated. I would be interested in what others say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kg.legat0

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Thanks,all
I tried the retrohale but it just irritates my sinuses and dulls my ability to recognize the subtleties. Perhaps it works better with burley and lat blends. I appreciate the insights,however.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Both. There definitely is distinct taste to smoke. And retrohale. Funny thing is, for longest time I didn't get anything out of retrohale. Now, I'm noticing specific notes from it. Rather interesting.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I just realized that I like those wisps and tendrils off the bowl going UP my nose not smokecoming out my nose! I guess the retrohale is not for me. Also, the retrohale gives me more nicotine than I want.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Both nose and tongue but retrohaling is a big part of getting all the flavors.

Another technique is to roll the smoke around your mouth before expelling it. It exposes more of your taste buds and gives them time to perceive the flavor. Just taking a draw and expelling it only lets you get the strongest flavor notes.