Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Do you smoke for a nic-hit?

• Yes, of course.

• Yes, who else is going to smoke all this?

• No, I enjoy the hobby.

• No, I'm relaxing.

• No, I like having something to fiddle with while I work.

• No, just no.

• I don't know.

• I don't care, I just want to see the results.

• Other (see below)

• Sometimes (see details below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Probably. But one thing it infuriates me in the extreme is having people who have never even met me pompously lecture me on how my body works and why I, consciously or unconsciously, have certain affinities; and then going one step further in haughtiness and accuse me of denial when they have no bloody clue about my organism.

For the umpteenth time: i DO NOT SMOKE FOR THE DAMN NICOTINE!! Just like I don't drink coffee 'to get going' or to stay awake. Plenty of people do those things for those reasons. Fine. I do not. That should be fine too.

For the umpteenth time too: YOU DO NOT KNOW MY BODY AS I DO, for I am the one living in it and have had decades to get to know it. Don't pretend to school me on physiology, or pharmacokinetics: I have plenty of knowledge about those areas too, both from medical training and externsive personal experience.

And hey, maybe nicotine is different for bears.

Reactions: BROBS

Nov 15, 2018
IN, USA
You all are funny. I appreciate the good-natured ribbing and discussion.

I enjoy the nicotine. I usually smoke once a week, on the weekend, and want a bowl that will hold me in my chair. If I don't feel any different at the end of a smoke than when I started, then I feel like it's a wasted smoke session.
I smoke a pipe because cigarettes do too much lung damage and the instant dopamine response would lead to easier addiction, cigars are too expensive, and vape seems a little "poser." I love a good real tobacco flavor, an hour of peaceful relaxation, and the ability to settle into the warm, contented feeling brought on by a nicotine-heavy blend. Many nicotine delivery methods are too efficient, and knowing me, I need me to work for it, settle into the ritual, and enjoy the journey, otherwise I'll go to the destination too quickly and often.

To those who say that they're not in it for the nicotine:
If there are flavors or experiences that are less potentially harmful and less expensive, why choose pipe smoking?

Even if you're not consciously feeling the effects of nicotine, if you are using it regularly, it's in the background releasing neurotransmitters that reinforce neural pathways that form habit. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, or fur, but nicotine is habit-forming, and and if you deny that it plays any role, part of your brain may just be covering for you.

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
One way to approach the debate would be to pose the hypothetical question: would you smoke a pipe if all pipe tobacco was nicotine free?

I would, which is why I know I don't smoke it for the nicotine at all. I'm actually bummed out on a long day off when I have to quit after a third or fourth bowl into the day relaxing outside because the nicotine is kicking in.

Same for coffee, I'll drink decaf and truly just enjoy the flavor, I don't drink it for the caffeine (though in the past I did).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
A good pipe blend tastes s o much better than any cigarette I have ever smoked, including Cuban cigarettes which blow away American ones. I used to be a big cigar smoker 5 plus a day and once I tasted some good pipe tobacco and learned how to smoke a quality pipe, I gave up cigars even though they have way more nicotine than pipe tobacco. So for me it is all about the variety of flavors I get from the many different blends in my cellar. I smoked a variety of cigars from aged Cubans to Padron Anny's, to Don Carlos,Opus X, Diamond Crowns, Ashton VSG's, Davidoff Sun Grown's and Ashton Cabinet's.

There was a variety of flavors with all the different cigars I smoked, but I found more with pipe tobacco.
Another nice thing about pipe tobacco is it is so much cheaper than cigars and you get to keep the pipe when you are done.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
One way to approach the debate would be to pose the hypothetical question: would you smoke a pipe if all pipe tobacco was nicotine free?

I would, which is why I know I don't smoke it for the nicotine at all. I'm actually bummed out on a long day off when I have to quit after a third or fourth bowl into the day relaxing outside because the nicotine is kicking in.

The hypothetical is a good one. I have also found that after a few bowls I wish i could continue but I know when its enough when the lightness kicks in.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I almost never get any nic hit from a pipe, even with supposedly nic heavy blends like royal yacht. But cigars - including supposedly mile ones - often throw me for a loop and make me sick.

My reasons for smoking a pipe are relaxation and the hobby -exploring blends and different pipes

Reactions: Pipelady20

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Thank you for joining in the poll and discussion.
Looking at the results, most are not looking for a nic-hit and just "want to relax" (17) followed by "enjoying the hobby" (15). I would still like to mention that tied (at 11) for third are folks that are looking for the nicotine and those that sometimes do.

Let the conversation and the ribbing continue ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I really like the nicotine, but I also enjoy the flavors as well. In the morning I can feel the nic hit more. I've heard some say there's no nicotine in pipe tobacco , but then again, they haven't tried any of my tobacco puffy oops sorry if I'm late , I just realized this was posted yesterdays poll..

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014

Same for coffee, I'll drink decaf and truly just enjoy the flavor, I don't drink it for the caffeine (though in the past I did).
These are exactly my thoughts on the matter as well. My enjoyment of both coffee and tobacco is limited by my reaction to both caffeine and nicotine. It’s a bummer!

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I've used nicotine in some form for about 50 years. Cigs,snuff,chew,quick and effective delivery system. As I get older I use pipes and cigars,of course I like the nicotine,but I find them much more of a relaxing,contemplative way,plus it is a lot of fun trying different blends of pipe tobacco,and different styles and brands of cigars.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I smoke for the flavor, aroma, and experience of the tobacco. I also smoke when I need to think and clear my mind of something troubling. For me, as with most other things I put into my body like caffeine or alcohol, the nicotine from tobacco feels really great when everything is right. I need to have food in my stomach and some water or tea with tobacco, otherwise the nicotine hits me in a very unpleasant way - making me very anxious and giving me a stomach ache. But if the conditions are right, the nicotine gives me a really nice calming euphoric buzz and has the ability to quell my anxieties and adds to the wonderful experience of smoking. I generally try to avoid blends that are overly nicotine heavy. But I welcome a good buzz when it happens.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
For me, no, I do not smoke a pipe for the nic-hit. I am actually not sure it is possible. I grew up around heavy cigarette smokers, was a heavy cigarette smoker myself for many years. I would wake in the middle of the night to smoke. I consider cigarettes as one of the most successful drug delivery system in modern history in terms of research, chemical engineering, marketing and, until the '90's, lobbying/politics. If I was after a nicotine (as I was for a long time), a pipe is the last place I would reach.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Final top 3 results:

No nic-hit, I'm relaxing (25%)
No nic-hit, I enjoy the hobby (21%)
Yes for a nic-hit, of course (17%)

Thank you for participating and for the discussions! I have found, as a new pipe smoker that I don't feel the nicotine in most of my tobacco, but I do realize it's still there. It usually takes a half a bowl on some before it hits me (HOTW for example), and then it's maybe in the first 5 minutes for others (Haunted Bookshop).

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
In the morning, I have a certain level of nicotine I need to get rolling, along with caffeine. Later in the day, strength doesn't matter so much except that I do like a boost of heavy nic from one of my stronger blends a couple times by evening. Nearly all my blends are "medium", with a couple heavy-hitters.