PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister somehow got a 14" clay pipe back from Holland to Chicago and shipped to me in North Carolina in one piece. It is a fun smoke, but it is fragile, and you have to handle it by the stem, and it is one to smoke seated. So it tends to be a sort of special occasion pipe, requiring some special attention and effort. The nice big bowl holds plenty of leaf. I'm often tempted by a more compact and easier to manage briar.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
My sister somehow got a 14" clay pipe back from Holland to Chicago and shipped to me in North Carolina in one piece. It is a fun smoke, but it is fragile, and you have to handle it by the stem, and it is one to smoke seated. So it tends to be a sort of special occasion pipe, requiring some special attention and effort. The nice big bowl holds plenty of leaf. I'm often tempted by a more compact and easier to manage briar.
I've learned to not smoke clay pipes while walking around in case I drop them & break them!

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I have a 10" tavern style clay that is a great smoke. I think everyone should own one just for the fact that it doesn't ghost. So you can really try out any blend any time and not have to worry. They also give a cool, dry smoke similar to a meer. I find it also brightens and sweetens up blends as well. Obviously the downside is that they can get hot to hold, but it sure gives a a good lesson on proper cadence.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I have a 10" tavern style clay that is a great smoke. I think everyone should own one just for the fact that it doesn't ghost. So you can really try out any blend any time and not have to worry. They also give a cool, dry smoke similar to a meer. I find it also brightens and sweetens up blends as well. Obviously the downside is that they can get hot to hold, but it sure gives a a good lesson on proper cadence.
My clay burns hot so it might help me not to smoke it too hot or puff too hard. I've heard stories about Condor ghosting pipes but I've only ever smoked it in a clay. I'm only interested in clay pipes myself!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
I have a OD Williamsburg clay pipe coming and it doesn't have a glazed tip. Is there anything I can do to keep the lips sticking to the stem?

Got the same problem with one of my new clays, I'm thinking of getting some red paint to cover it but I'm not sure that is healthy or if it would work.

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
Got the same problem with one of my new clays, I'm thinking of getting some red paint to cover it but I'm not sure that is healthy or if it would work.
You could probably melt a thin layer of beeswax on the tip, though I’m sure you would eventually have to re-apply.

Reactions: tom12
Jan 27, 2020
I recently ordered a double-walled porcelain pipe from Amazon for $16.50 that smokes very well, the bowl stays cool and it holds a decent amount of tobacco. It can be found here: Muxiang Ceramic Pipe

I expected a piece of crap at that price but am really enjoying it. I know, it's from China, but so is everything else.

WdValUc.jpg

That's not made of clay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You could probably melt a thin layer of beeswax on the tip, though I’m sure you would eventually have to re-apply.
Red hard nail varnish works wondered. Measure 1/2' from the mouthpiece and wrap some tape around the stem. Paint the exposed area with hard nail varnish and allow to dry/set. Remove the tape and you have a perfectly aligned tip. Probably best not to use the sparkly nail varnish as people might get the wrong idea!

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I have a tavern cutty style clay that I like to smoke at night once in a while. I like how they smoke nice and dry. The one I have now, I keep up on a shelf where it won't be able to break and usually smoke it at night idk why. Also I like the history of them. I've seen many videos on the people that mudlark the Thames river to find clay pipes, there's been so so many they find!

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I wood fired 7 I made a few years ago, and 4 shattered in the heat, so I got three, gave 2 away and smoked the one once, it wasn’t for me, but cool to smoke your own clay pipe. I also bought a 10$ Shakespeare replica clay, but it is currently a decoration in my home, so no I don‘t smoke clay. 1-briar, 2-meer for me..

Reactions: The Clay King