PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I have an Old Dominion cutty, and though it's very pretty and I appreciate what the company is doing, it is virtually unsmokable.

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Please help me. I'm taking part in British Heart Foundation's Dechox this month but have not received any online donations. The weblink is here:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Dan-Sellers-27061982-DechoxFeb2019?utm_campaign=lc_frp_share_transaction_fundraiser_page_launched&utm_content=f82115d9-6936-471e-b934-c1bd70dc3a39&utm_medium=email&utm_source=postoffice&utm_term=1549646010539

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Received my first clay pipe today. I'm not a big fan of how fragile and dainty they feel when smoking, but it was an enjoyable bowl nonetheless. Probably won't be buying any more in the near future.

themitch

Lurker
Jan 16, 2019
Siena
Chioggiotta pipes are really nice. They come from Chioggia, a city near Venice. Made of terracotta and cherrywood for the stem.
http://www.pipachioggiotta.it/shop

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I used to have one. It was given to me by a friend for my birthday.
To me, the smoke was hot, the pipe was hot, and the stem stuck to my lips. I'm not meant for clays. I lost it since then , but wish I still had it.

Reactions: The Clay King

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
I don't, but I want to try.
Can anyone recommend a specific model (available in the US at a reasonable price--I'm thinking $15 or less) that is smokable?
I know there have been general recommendations upthread for various makers, but a lot of them are sold out or have lots of different models at lots of different price points, which has lead to a certain analysis paralysis.
Alternatively, if you think a sub-$15 clay will be unsmokable, saying so would be helpful.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
Have no experience, except with Lepeltier Clay's. Had at least one, back when, but it/they somehow lost themselves during one of my house moves. Recently inspired to buy a new one and am VERY pleased with it. Has most of the best smoking qualities of a meerschaum, with few of the finicky downsides. Relatively large bowl, not very light in weight. Super easy to clean/maintain- you can literally clean the bowl with boiling water. Have smoked codger blends, VAs, burleys and light aromatics, all tasted good, with no hint of ghosting. Ordered a second. Best under $60 pipe in my collection and out smokes a couple of pipes 3x the price!

Reactions: anotherbob

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I recently ordered a double-walled porcelain pipe from Amazon for $16.50 that smokes very well, the bowl stays cool and it holds a decent amount of tobacco. It can be found here: Muxiang Ceramic Pipe

I expected a piece of crap at that price but am really enjoying it. I know, it's from China, but so is everything else.

WdValUc.jpg

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
My daughter gave me a couple of clay pipes as an early fathers' day gift. I've had a few bowls and here are my notes:
1) In the clay I got, there was definitely a break-in period (though it only lasted a couple of bowls). The clay gave a very distinct flavor to the first bowl that totally dominated the flavor. And the flavor of the tobacco itself was entirely missing. This could be the specific clay or firing technique used on this pipe.
2) Even with a varnished tip, clay on tooth enamel is a lot like an emery board on tooth enamel. Also, I really don't want to get pipe notches. It is funny how not being able to let the pipe touch your teeth totally breaks your form and really detracts from the overall experience.
3) The first bowls smoked hot. They also tended to go out. My theory is that the Gouda pipe I was smoking has a really oddly shaped bowl (it is hooked--the bowl curves into the stem--and flared in the middle and canted), so it wasn't packed properly, and therefore I was fighting to keep it lit (and getting it too hot in the process). Also, my cadence was off because of (2).
So the first couple of bowls were just terrible.
But, (1) the flavor of clay went away quickly. (2) wrapping the tip with electrical tape lets me clench comfortably and without fear of drilling a hole in my teeth, and (3) taking some extra care in packing seems to have solved the problems keeping it lit, and being able to clentch seems to have helped me get my nice slow and steady cadence back. When all this came together I got a really enjoyable smoke--the kind that is just short of nirvana.
We'll see if I can continue to replicate it, but for now, I think I'm hooked.
It is funny how quickly things turned around. Based on reading about clays, I had really high hopes when I sat down for that first pipe, but it was really just horrid all around, then a couple of bowls later, I had a nearly perfect smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That should help many who want to experience clays. I did so just after the great flood (the one when Noah was about) and that was fine, but for me, not something I wanted to do going forward.

malicev

Lurker
Jun 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I have one. I do enjoy it on occasion. it might be in my head but i swear i can taste the clay a little when i smoke it. because of that i do not smoke it very often.