Do you prefer the 1st or 2nd half of bowl better?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
Hi all,

First off, I’m brand new here and am new to pipe smoking but I’ve been reading several threads on my journey to learn more.

Today I noticed that I’m starting to realize there is a definite difference between the 1st half and 2nd half of the bowl. I’m starting to be able to pick out the flavours I read others talk about but it really starts happening in the 2nd half. I enjoy the entire bowl, but am finding that the flavours intensify during that 2nd half and it’s where the expected flavours come alive to my palate.

But it makes me wonder if people in general prefer the mellower 1st half or the more intense second half.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Always later half for me. I thought it was something I was doing, but after adjusting everything I can think of, it's still second half. It's not that first half is bad, but it's like tobacco seems to settle into the pipe by second half. First half always feels like a new pair of shoes. Second half, like well worn pair of penny loafer.

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
Always later half for me. I thought it was something I was doing, but after adjusting everything I can think of, it's still second half. It's not that first half is bad, but it's like tobacco seems to settle into the pipe by second half. First half always feels like a new pair of shoes. Second half, like well worn pair of penny loafer.
Yep, based on my experience as of late, I can relate to that analogy.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
For me I prefer the first half (or until the first relight which is about half way of the bowl) as to me I taste more the original tobacco taste as it should be. In the second half the ash and the humidity accumulating at the end of the bowl alter the taste not for the better. Yes, you can throw some of the ash and dry the stem with a pipe cleaner but still for me the first half is the better. Not to say the second half is bad and actually I generally go up to the end of the bowl.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though the first half of the bowl is usually fresh and interesting as you taste the blend for the first time that day or week or month, the ember usually settles down and does its best in the second half. If things go really well, this will take you through nearly or all of the unsmoked tobacco without diminishment of flavor.

The whole bowl is usually good, but the best of it is the second half, to me.

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
Though the first half of the bowl is usually fresh and interesting as you taste the blend for the first time that day or week or month, the ember usually settles down and does its best in the second half. If things go really well, this will take you through nearly or all of the unsmoked tobacco without diminishment of flavor.

The whole bowl is usually good, but the best of it is the second half, to me.
Makes sense and I agree that second half is where it gets real interesting but too new to know if that’ll persist.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I have thought about this for a while. I believe I tend to like the second half even more than the first half. But, that said……. the second half of the bowl is only GREAT when the first half is pretty damn good as well.

So, I am thinking…. if the first half is not at least good…. there really isn’t a GREAT second half to have. Meaning, I guess that a great second half has never been experienced (by me) if the first half is middling or worse.

ryguy76

Lurker
Nov 19, 2022
I have thought about this for a while. I believe I tend to like the second half even more than the first half. But, that said……. the second half of the bowl is only GREAT when the first half is pretty damn good as well.

So, I am thinking…. if the first half is not at least good…. there really isn’t a GREAT second half to have. Meaning, I guess that a great second half has never been experienced (by me) if the first half is middling or worse.
Good point. I have yet to have a “bad” bowl, but I’ve definitely had bowls that are better than others as I’m still trying to get a handle on my packing technique. I just started letting my tobacco dry out a bit which has also seemed to help. I deal with lack of flavour more than bad flavour.

Reactions: KruegerFlap