Do you prefer the 1st or 2nd half of bowl better?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
First half generally, since by the time I delve into the second a bit of clearing, humidity management and heavier compression is involved. Though sometimes the tobacco and packing are just right and it's a smooth smoke through the entire bowl.

Heh, makes me think of the optimism / pessimism question. Are you a bowl half empty or bowl half full person? :D

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I definitely prefer the stronger second half although that first puff off the top will always be the tastiest.

Heh, makes me think of the optimism / pessimism question. Are you a bowl half empty or bowl half full person? :D
I'd say it depends on if the bowl was being filled or smoked. If filled it's half full, if smoked it's half empty.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
First half generally, since by the time I delve into the second a bit of clearing, humidity management and heavier compression is involved. Though sometimes the tobacco and packing are just right and it's a smooth smoke through the entire bowl.

1669047670913.png

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Mine is usually the part of the smoke just before the household awakens. For some reason my family has a special ability to know when I am in the groove (pipe smoking well, lost in a book or thought, calm, and well caffeinated) and disturbs my peace.

I'm not complaining. However, I am amazed at the consistency with which it happens.
You too, huh? I think it’s a conspiracy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
First or second half of the bowl is no big thing for me. I don't like to smoke pipes with an unusually tall bowl so there in not enough time for the residue from the top of the bowl to build up in the bottom and cause a sower taste. puffy

002-386-2793.jpeg

Reactions: huckleberry

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I like the first half first immediately followed by the second half second as I have never had time to figure out another way. Although when short on time, sometimes I only smoke the second half. ;)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I enjoy them equally. I smoke the first half which tastes great, Then around the half way point I will gently stir the ash, dump it, scrape the sides of the walls and re tamp and then finish the last half of the bowl. The lower I go the more intense the flavors get and I enjoy those just as well.

Gojira

Lurker
Nov 18, 2022
1st half because of the sweetness of the 1st lighting. But I do like the changing of the seasons.