PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I guess a lot of us when we are young get drawn to smoking, I was certainly one them, cigarettes and cigars first. When I eventually made my way to that first tobacco shop, the smell of pipe tobacco in the air and all the beautiful pipes is what drew me in. Probably around this point, I tossed cigarettes away, then later on in life cigars. It’s always been a love of the smell and taste of pipe tobacco, I personally don’t give a hoot about nicotine, I’m probably more psychologically addicted, and I love it! Oh and for all us on PAD, I just love pretty pipes! ❤️

P.S. That first shop were I met the world of Dunhill EMP and Erinmore, it was a timeless magical feeling/smell. ?‍♀️

Codgersville! :)

Last edited:

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
No.

On a more serious note, yes, but more for the ritual of picking tobacco, stuffing, lighting, tamping, sipping. Browsing (online) shops for a pipe and tobacco, when I was a cigarette smoker I generally smoked Lucky Strike. Tasting nuances. The nic hit is nice, but not really something I crave for when putting the pipe away for a few days.

Reactions: Latakia Dave
Mar 1, 2014
I love being immersed in the smell and taste and ritual.

The only effect I have ever felt from Nicotine is my head spinning after a few too many bowls, which seems to mean "more than four bowls in a row" at my current bodyweight.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Yessir I do love to smoke my pipe. It’s never been about addiction for me. In fact, I haven’t had a pipe in over two weeks now due to life circumstances (a cross-country move) and while I miss the flavors and the experience, I feel in no way compelled by my body to consume any sort of nicotine at all.

I do, however, very much look forward to that first bowl on the deck after we find a house and get out of this airbnb.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I love puffing on my pipes.
For 35+ years I was a daily 30-40 cigarette smoker and in the last years especially, I was hopelessly addicted.
Quit attempts were torture.
Every 30 minutes I'd start craving. I smoked everywhere. Couldn't have a crap without one.

Since switching to a pipe, I can go hours without and not notice when otherwise occupied.
No longer do I crave.

That intrigues me because although I smoke blends with mild nicotine, I must be consuming enough nicotine to maintain an addiction [If the commonly accepted beliefs about nicotine are correct]
The difference is so big that I suspect that some of the hundreds of chemicals that are added to cigarettes must be more addictive than the nicotine itself.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We use "love" loosely -- or along a range, or sliding scale -- rather less precisely than the Greek (which subdivides it four ways), although more precisely than the French (which lumps "love" and "like" together).

But I'd say that I strongly like, or loosely love, aspects of piping. I say "piping" because I include more than just the smoking -- I mean the collecting of pipes, the study of the history of pipe artisans, the study of tobacco varietals and processes and histories and taxonomies, the rituals of preparation and cleaning, etc.

But I also love the *idea* of pipe smoking. In fact, this is what I love most. And I confess that it may be that such a love is misplaced or ill-conceived -- one more fruit of our alienation from better times and better people -- leading to artificial or illusory orientations.

Is it true that our pipe smoking ushers us into the company of those pipe-smoking authors, or grandfathers, with whom we long for deeper connection?

Perhaps.

As for nicotine - I could take it or leave it. (Although I confess that lately I've noticed a more relaxing influence from it than I used to.)

As for the smoke itself (its taste primarily, and perhaps other aspects like mouthfeel secondarily) I like some of it, and dislike some of it. But what I like... I do really like.

For some reason, I've found that although certain foods give me great pleasure -- so much that you'd expect them to create a craving in me -- I never in fact crave them, and sort of forget just how enjoyable they are until I next eat them. I know that this is weird. But grapes are an example. I never crave grapes. Yet whenever I happen eat them, I think, "Oh wow, I completely forgot how much I love these!"

Well, my favorite pipe tobaccos tend to be like that. I don't crave Plum Pudding, or Peretti Omega, or Cabbies Mixture, or a good VA flake... but when I get about a third of the way down a bowl of one of these, I am struck by how deeply I'm enjoying it!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I love puffing on my pipes.
For 35+ years I was a daily 30-40 cigarette smoker and in the last years especially, I was hopelessly addicted.
Quit attempts were torture.
Every 30 minutes I'd start craving. I smoked everywhere. Couldn't have a crap without one.

Since switching to a pipe, I can go hours without and not notice when otherwise occupied.
No longer do I crave.

That intrigues me because although I smoke blends with mild nicotine, I must be consuming enough nicotine to maintain an addiction [If the commonly accepted beliefs about nicotine are correct]
The difference is so big that I suspect that some of the hundreds of chemicals that are added to cigarettes must be more addictive than the nicotine itself.

If you read about alcohol and tobacco consumption, from say the start of the Industrial age to World War One, our great grandfathers drank a bunch of booze and smoked pipes, cigars, dipped snuff, and chewed a lot of tobacco, per capita.

Pre World War One patent medicine ads promised sure cures for the booze and the leaf. They were addicted.

No tobacco is safe (neither is keeping a straw or matchsticks in your mouth) but the huge increase in both disease and extreme addiction came from inhaling modern cigarettes starting with Camels in 1913.

And codger burley blends really began in 1907 with our friend Prince Albert, always wanting out of his can. That can was made to fit a bib overalls front pocket.

We don’t Inhale the robust pipe blends we smoke, because we don’t have to.

Nicotine has quite a few helpful properties.

Sucking smoke deep into your lungs. is harmful.