Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was tentative and bought one P-lip. It's a fine pipe, a 999 Rhodesian, and I enjoy smoking it, but the bit is a little too much in my mouth, and the re-directed smoke toward the roof of my mouth is fine, but not an improvement. So for me, no more P-lips; I enjoy this one but I don't need another. Just FYI.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I am going to try to get into a shop this week to look at system pipes. The 9s is my first stop.

I can certainly understand why! I was looking at the Deluxes as well but they were a bit pricier than I could afford and the ones available seemed to have smaller chambers than I prefer. That shape has plenty of bowl though at 21x40mm

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
I have a 31 (the straight one) and a 304 sitter. Both fit only a modest amount of tobacco and I like for a quick cool smoke where I don't want to bother with drying or cleaners. I think you oughta try, they're good pipes.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Good thread, as I'm in the same boat. Petersons have been growing on me lately and I really like silver bands and mounts. I've never smoked a a system, or a P-Lip, or even a full or 3/4 bent pipe, so it will be quite a change for me since it seems like the straight systems have been 86'd from the lineup.

Anybody know just how much bigger a 307 is as conpared to, say, a 314? Those are the 2 sizes I've been eyeballing and that are available as spigot systems.
307 is like an XL size.. it's on the large size.. kind of reminds me of a small billiard ball lol.
314 is a medium sized pipe and my favorite shape. The deluxe equivalent is 20s.

Reactions: docrameous

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
As I mentioned, System Spigot is a System pipes. However, not all Spigots are System. For example, Natural Spigot, Red Spigot and others are not System pipes.
A system spigot does not have a tenon extension therefore isn’t a true sytem. It would be like unscrewing and removing the chimney on a deluxe. It has a reservoir but nothing to deposit the moisture in it.

the other spigots you mention are just the classic pipe shapes with a spigot mount. ?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You couldn't pay me to own a system pipe. The last thing I want in my pipe is a well of disgusting tobacco juice in my pipe. In fact I think the should be banned from the existence and replaced with Brylon pipes.

I understand. However, like army mount, System pipes can be taken apart to be cleaned anytime during the smoke. This allows tenon and mortice to be cleaned if you wish. Where as other type of pipes, best you can do is run a pipe cleaner through and hope the juice don't end up in your mouth. Or chance cracking the shank by removing the stem. Then again you can empty the chamber, wait an hour or more for juice to dry up and get embedded on the briar and clean it out with beverage of your choice.

Reactions: danimalia and seanv
Status
Not open for further replies.