PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Too tight?

I assume these aren't system models, right?

Yes, too tight. They're pretty snug even when cold but if the pipe is warm it's like the stem is welded on.
The bent ones are system, hence the pain getting a pipe cleaner through them with the stem on.
As I say, they all smoke just fine--tight stem or not, but I'd suggest going with army mount for any Peterson.

Reactions: mingc and jpmcwjr

Mr_Smokey

Lurker
Feb 17, 2020
London, UK
Here are my two system Petersons, The larger one is the B42 'Darwin' and the smaller is a 317. I put the Czech tool in for some scale. (I think the B42 is the largest in the range.)

petes x 2.jpg

The B42's draught hole is slightly higher than in the 317, which is right at the bottom. Both great smokers, I do usually have a little soggy tobacco at the bottom of the B42 but only a tiny bit (sacrificial tobacco.) I usually use the 317, unless I feel like a large bowl.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I have a 307 and like it a lot. Looks great and it hangs quite comfortably so it is clenchable, at least for a period. Smokes great. Interesting thing is that it is my only pipe that gurgles occasionally. I have tried removing the stem snd swabing the well with a pipe cleaner mid smoke and that seems to help. It is one of the larger pipes i own but i still find it comfortable.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes, too tight. They're pretty snug even when cold but if the pipe is warm it's like the stem is welded on.
The bent ones are system, hence the pain getting a pipe cleaner through them with the stem on.
As I say, they all smoke just fine--tight stem or not, but I'd suggest going with army mount for any Peterson.
I have one regular tenon/mortise Pete with no tightness issue. The other 3 are either military or spigot.

As you know, there are solutions for tight tenons, but it sounds like you can live with them.

I always figured bent system Petes simply aren't meant to pass pipe cleaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.