PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
Briar Fox by C&D is a really good earthy blend of Virginias and Burleys that you don't see taughted much on here. It is a perfect hybrid blend for lovers of both. But, it doesn't have a OTC casing, nor the bright leaf sweetness that StoKkebyes Cube Cut has. It is very much on the earthy side. It's a pure tobacco flavor joy, IMO.
And, Briar Fox ages like a champ.
Nice, I forgot that I got a tin of briar fox in a trade a few months back. I’ll have to pop it. Thanks for the tip.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Though I am a burley devotee, liking burley as both a base and as a condiment, and also liking all-burley blends or single leaf quite well, I also regularly enjoy Virginia based blends, Va/Per, and Virginia as a condiment or single-leaf. I think people tend to prefer one to the other, burley or Virginia, some entirely, most enjoying both. Which do you prefer, and how adamantly? Do just not smoke one or the other, or only rarely? My sense is the Virginia has the edge on Forums, but burley people may be more vocal, realizing we're in the minority. What's your pleasure?
Why people like burley is that burley is cheap. I love cheap aromatics but Virginias are better.

I wonder how much burley the British Royals smoke?

Why people like burley is that burley is cheap.
Aye ya ya ya!!! WHAT? Sure, bright leaf has to undergo flue curing as an extra step, but burley has to hang for an extra long time before coming to market. I think you'll find some air cured Burley to be more expensive than Flue Cured, and variations along the line. But, by no means is Burley significantly cheaper than Virginias. Time spent hanging, can offset the speed of Flue cures.
They balance out in the end.

Good to hear! I bought a bunch in 2010 that I recently came across.

I’m actually surprised by the responses, a lot more Burley fans on here than I would have guessed.

I enjoy both but I have far more VA than Burley in my cellar. Just depends on my mood.
Me too, there are so many more nuances of flavor that can be pulled out of burley, and you don't have to reach for them as hard as with virginias. I mean, I still love Virginias, but with the ease of smoking, the sophistication that can be blended in, and availability why not? It's not the dog some would have us believe. I can get interest and changing flavors from a well blended bowl of burley. But, why pigeonhole... let variety be the spice.

kj27

Lurker
Oct 5, 2012
I lean more Va, and if you'd asked me a month ago, I'd have said that I was strictly Va. But, I've begun dipping my toe into the Burley waters. Right now, I have 4 Burley forward blends and I'm definitely gonna be adding more. I don't think it'll ever get to a point where I'm smoking more Burley than Va, but I can definitely see it becoming more of a 60/40 thing instead of the 80/20 or so that it is now

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I lean burley when I don’t want to think about what I’m smoking. It’s comforting & and can guide me without being fancy or overdone. Together with a cup of ☕️…hard to beat. Virginias & VaPers are more for the contemplative smokes when I wanna relax and ponder whatever. However, when I smoke Virginia/ VaPers I tend to taste the nuances of sweet, sour, hay/grass etc. ?