PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
I leant Burley, then Virginia, then Burley, then Virginia... haha. Now i enjoy both and Burley-Virginia blends a lot

Reactions: JOHN72

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I prefer a creamy smoke. Something with depth. I don’t care for light, airy smokes, even when tasty. — Solani ABF is bland for me too, by the way. I try to like it. ABF doesn’t do it for me.

C&D burleys can sport some rough edges but are quite tasty, especially Pegasus. It’s a VA/Burley blend.

Peterson University Flake is burley forward and I enjoy its plum topping. I get a berry note.

MacBaren Navy Flake is good.

Granger is absolutely delicious albeit one dimensional. It’s creamy and very tasty for such a mild smoke and it’s my personal fav. It’s all rough cut Kentucky burley.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
I cannot smoke burley. I usually put my pipe out around 5 times a bowl and every burley blend I have tried has gotten very bitter and off-putting after 2 relights? So no burley for me just Va and VaPers.

PoplarWight

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2022
Trapped in the root ball, Alabama
I like them about equally, but lately have been smoking much more burley. Side note, sometimes the stale virginia smell on clothes/facial hair after a smoke gets kind of annoying in a way that burley blends (or even lat blends) don't. You get that vaguely cig like note with burley sometimes, but it's kind of comforting in a way.

Stale virginia smoke reminds me of that weird "polyester that has been worn outdoors all day" smell.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Definitely VA for me at this point (VAPer mostly). I need to devote some time to burley though, I generally like bolder, darker, earthier flavors so I’m not sure why I haven’t explored them more over the years. He nic strength of burley is part of what keeps me away. Any good dark/earthy burley blends that won’t turn me green?

HH Burley Flake and Watch City Slices