Do You Keep Certain Pipes For Certain Types of Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jamesc

Lurker
Jun 15, 2015
I usually smoke too fast and reserve my corncobs for tobaccos that I have little experience with to prevent burn out and to learn how fast I can smoke without burning out. I also reserve the first pipe I ever purchased for cigars buds that are too good to throw away and want to smoke down to nothing but ash.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ah.?

View attachment 41144

Top, left to right:
Black Frigate, Solani Silver Flake, Yenidje Highlander, Angler's Dream, Watch City Slices, Christmas Cheer, Salty Dogs, and Devil's Holiday.

Long shanked acorn:
Deep Hollow

Bent Biiliard:
HH Rustica

Straight grain acorn:
Three Year Matured Virginia

Tri-cano:
Sakura

Pipeadelic volcano:
King Cake

And what blends are your tampers and lighter dedicated to? ;)

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I absolutely dedicate pipes to a specific genre. Kind of easy for me because I smoke Virginia blends 80% of the time. I have another smaller group of pipes that are dedicated to VaOr blends, my second favorite genre. A smaller group yet for VaPer. I have a few larger bowl pipes for my occasional journey into Balkan or English blends. I have cobs for those times I suffer temporary insanity and smoke an aromatic.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I tried but it just wasn't enjoyable. I grab which ever pipe calls out to me from the rack and enjoy. Sometimes I want to smoke a certain tobacco and don't feel like smoking the designated pipe. Or I want to smoke a certain pipe but not that pipes designated tobacco. I figured out that there is no way I can be so systematic about pipe smoking. Also, I kind of like to have a little ghosting once in a while. Having a hint of latakia in an aromatic is an interesting part of pipe smoking.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My pipes play zone defense. Two for latakia, two for perique, two for virginia, one burley, one dark fired, one Lakeland, one aro. One pipe just for Black Frigate and the occasional Redburn.

A few pipes that play the field.

1598731674143.jpeg

Reactions: Mis Pipas

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I haven't found the magic blend needing the one special pipe yet. I do use certain shapes with blend categories, but nothing scientific because of bowl size making blend types better etc... One decent Sav billiard and a few cobs for aromatics as I don't do aromatics much. A couple bulldogs, 320, and Dublin for English/Orientals, and certain billiards, canadians, and cobs for Va/VaPers. My current English Balkan kick is telling me I'm in the market for another Dublin I guess. ;)

64alex

May 10, 2016
Given 95% of the time I use morta, meer and clay, I do not smoke aromatics in briar, and I clean the pipe with water flush after every smoke I am not too much concerned with ghosting and I have not experienced yet.

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I tend to choose by the tobacco cut/form than the blend type. I like flakes in taller, narrower pipes, and finer cuts in wide, shallow bowls. I usually find a decent cleaning and a few bowls smoked gets rid of any ghosts for me. That being said, I have a few Lakelands that I have not yet smoked, and when I do, I will begin with one pipe, to "test the waters".

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Well per my other thread unconditional love of a good woman and a conditional pipe i now have my very first blend specific pipe for mac barren vanilla cream. Everything else is separated by blend category in General areo, Virginia, english.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, all of my pipes are dedicated to a certain type of blend. I have a handful that are dedicated to certain blends. I usually start out smoking a VA in a new pipe, see how it likes that particular genre of tobacco and if it doesn’t get on with it I will try maybe an English and so on. I usually decide what I think will smoke best in it by the size of the chamber. But you can’t go wrong by starting with a VA as they don’t leave behind a strong residual flavor like a Lat or aromatic blend.

Reactions: PipesRock

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have picky and obsessive streaks about various things, so I have determinedly avoided designating pipes. I choose pipes and blends on inspiration, always congratulating myself on excellent choices (some are excellent and others not, but that's my attitude). If I started tasting leftover Lat or some aromatic flavoring, I might designate a cob, but I haven't. If I smoked Lakeland aromatics, I'd designate a cob, because that flavoring is so distinctive -- taking other people's word -- and so persistent. But I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics. Meantime, I have 92 pipes, not competitive with some restoration members here, but plenty of pipes to have a long rotation, so not much flavor gets retained. Also, I wipe out my pipes with a paper towel, to maintain only a thin carbon layer, as do many members here, and I don't build cake or ever have to ream, so that also limits ghosting. For me, pipe smoking is about pleasure, not perfection. I do understand the other approach, where some perfectionism is part of the pleasure. To resort to a cliche, whatever floats your boat, or mine.

Sethology

Lurker
Jan 5, 2020
Yeah, if you smoke any blends with great ratios of latakia to the other components, dedicating a pipe to those latakia blends is in my opinion essential. For me at least its hard to get a latakia ghost out, but to each their own and if you dont mind said ghost than I suppose it doesn't matter. So the real question is- do you mind having latakia aftertaste in your virginias, aromatics, and burley mixtures? If so, get an extra pipe. If not, keep on keeping on : )