Do You Introduce Yourself to Other Pipe Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have had another pipe smoker approach me, I was fine with that and gave him a sample of what I was smoking...I don't think I would have approached him first though, well no more than the hello I would give anyone if I made eye contact.

If I see an old guy smoking a pipe I will only say hello, not try for pipe talk. I guess if I saw a younger person smoking a pipe I would probably only end up doing 'pipe talk' if they initiated it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At pipe shows or pipe shops, conversation comes easily. Other circumstances are often not inviting. I saw a man smoking a pipe in my grocery parking lot and asked him about his blend, but he was obviously in a hurry and called over his shoulder, Prince Albert. It's pretty rare to see someone smoking a pipe, much less one in a conversational mood. Once at a J&R cigar outlet I was deeply considering which pipe tobacco to buy, and a guy came up and wanted to talk, and I had to sort of decline, because I was making the earth-shaking decision on what to buy.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
At pipe shows or pipe shops, conversation comes easily. Other circumstances are often not inviting. I saw a man smoking a pipe in my grocery parking lot and asked him about his blend, but he was obviously in a hurry and called over his shoulder, Prince Albert. It's pretty rare to see someone smoking a pipe, much less one in a conversational mood. Once at a J&R cigar outlet I was deeply considering which pipe tobacco to buy, and a guy came up and wanted to talk, and I had to sort of decline, because I was making the earth-shaking decision on what to buy.
If he we smoking Prince Albert you probably lucked out that he didn't want to talk. puffy

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Lucky for me there is a cafe on the main street of my lil town and I happened by a group of 4 pipe smokers. I asked while walking by
“ is this a pipe club? “ ,
“ yes indeed it is” ,
“ how do I join?” ,
“sit down and smoke”
” I don’t have my works right now , maybe next time”
” we have plenty , sit down”
I was handed a nice poker and a tin of ODF ready rubbed, a lighter and a tamper. That night the discussion began with Wood Lathes and ended with Chicago Indie rock. Been happening at that cafe for 17 years I guess. Nice folks around here, pity I’m just about to move…

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I had a really nice interaction with a pipe smoker in the wild a few weeks ago. We were in Riverside Park for Viking’s brand new Mississippi riverboat that docked in LaCrosse for the first time. We talked pipes and tobacco’s for a half hour. He was from out of town but I invited him to the Briar Patch Shop I work at.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
In Alabama, there must be more of us, because I can run into other pipesmokers at least twice a week, but sometimes more often. And, it depends… on whether I have a reason to introduce myself. Do they have a nice pipe? Am I curious about what they’re smoking? Do they seem interesting enough to get to know? Or, are we talking a dork with a corncob and baseball cap on backwards?
I don't wear a baseball cap.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
If I see a pipe smoker in the wild, I do the official Pipesmagazine.com/forums high-sign. If they don't respond with the correct countersign, I slap the pipe out of their hand and throw a pinch of Borkum Riff in their eye. If the correct countersign is given, we exchange bags of Esoterica and Sixten pipes, take a shot of Pappy and go our separate ways.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If I see a pipe smoker in the wild, I do the official Pipesmagazine.com/forums high-sign. If they don't respond with the correct countersign, I slap the pipe out of their hand and throw a pinch of Borkum Riff in their eye. If the correct countersign is given, we exchange bags of Esoterica and Sixten pipes, take a shot of Pappy and go our separate ways.
How very Cowan of you 😉🤣🤣🤣

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Pipesmokers are an ultra-rare species in Oz, and rarely sighted in the wild.

Even though I post a lot and offer my opinions (too) freely on these Forums, I am quite socially awkward in person.
These Forums offer an opportunity to interact with other like-minded persons with a degree of anonymity

I suspect there are a lot like me in that direct interpersonal interaction can be challenging, unless there is a reason to do so.

I tend to respect the other person's personal space, unless invited to share it

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
On the couple occasions that I have crossed path with another pipe smoker, the conversation has been pleasant. We’ve even exchanged some of the tobaccos we were smoking.

Usually while I’m smoking in public, someone remarks of how the aroma reminds them of their granddad or uncle.