Do You Introduce Yourself to Other Pipe Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Why not just connect with anyone? Why another pipesmoker?
The closest I have had to a fantasy, was a dream I had once that The Briary was hit by a tornado, and all of their inventory was laying out across the grass. So, I started picking up cigars and carrying them in my shirt, and another guy was like, "Hey, why are you not picking up these pipe tobacco tins?" I replied, "I have enough pipe tobacco to last a lifetime," and cigars are way more valuable." Weird dream. Vivid. I had to check to make sure it was still there afterwards. I'm still not sure whether it is open or not, ha ha.
Some dream! Have you considered professional help? cray

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Why not just connect with anyone? Why another pipesmoker?
The closest I have had to a fantasy, was a dream I had once that The Briary was hit by a tornado, and all of their inventory was laying out across the grass. So, I started picking up cigars and carrying them in my shirt, and another guy was like, "Hey, why are you not picking up these pipe tobacco tins?" I replied, "I have enough pipe tobacco to last a lifetime," and cigars are way more valuable." Weird dream. Vivid. I had to check to make sure it was still there afterwards. I'm still not sure whether it is open or not, ha ha.
I'll talk hi to anyone anywhere. In line, whereever.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I don't smoke when I'm out and about. Once in awhile, I'll catch the scent of a good cigar and it practically makes me swoon. The only pipe smoker I've seen in NYC was a derelict leaning up against a wall near the post office. I was tempted to greet him just to show him I'm a man of the people, like George Costanza, but I realized in time that I'm not that guy and besides I was afraid he'd stab me.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This is is very topical for me. On Sunday I was at the Michigan Renaissance Festival (no, I didn’t dress up or eat a turkey leg). I brought one pre packed pipe with me, but no extra tobacco. After smoking my first bowl, I kinda regretted leaving behind my tobacco. I looked up and saw two guys in their twenties packing their pipes. I walked over and said hello, and asked them if I could buy a bowlful (I didn’t want to be too presumptuous). They kindly offered me some gratis, and it turned out to be Dan Tobacco Devil’s Holiday, a pretty good berry aromatic. A good encounter all around.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
This is is very topical for me. On Sunday I was at the Michigan Renaissance Festival (no, I didn’t dress up or eat a turkey leg). I brought one pre packed pipe with me, but no extra tobacco. After smoking my first bowl, I kinda regretted leaving behind my tobacco. I looked up and saw two guys in their twenties packing their pipes. I walked over and said hello, and asked them if I could buy a bowlful (I didn’t want to be too presumptuous). They kindly offered me some gratis, and it turned out to be Dan Tobacco Devil’s Holiday, a pretty good berry aromatic. A good encounter all around.
I was at the festival two weekends ago and try to get there every year. The people watching alone is worth the price of admission.

They used to have a cigar vendor, but I didn't see him this year. A few acts retired or failed to return, like Ded Bob.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I don't smoke when I'm out and about. Once in awhile, I'll catch the scent of a good cigar and it practically makes me swoon. The only pipe smoker I've seen in NYC was a derelict leaning up against a wall near the post office. I was tempted to greet him just to show him I'm a man of the people, like George Costanza, but I realized in time that I'm not that guy and besides I was afraid he'd stab me.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in NYC. A few years back I visited a friend who lives there. We decided to go somewhere and take the underground. As we sat on the train three cute teenage girls next to us engaged me in a casual conversation. After they left the train my friend gave me an agitated, over wrought, lecture about not talking to strangers. I guess this was round two of his talk about not making eye contact. Sad. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
There is one guy in my neighborhood who smokes a pipe. Quite eccentric to the point where I worry he may have some undiagnosed (or diagnosed) mental issues. I have only ever encountered him once in person. That was before I started smoking pipes. Now, I kind of hope to run into him to find out what he smokes.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I would definitely say hello if circumstances permitted, but I haven't seen a pipe smoker recently.

But I myself rarely have a pipe in public, it's nearly always at home because it takes time to prepare and enjoy, not something I normally would just step out of my shopping or errands to do.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
There is one guy in my neighborhood who smokes a pipe. Quite eccentric to the point where I worry he may have some undiagnosed (or diagnosed) mental issues. I have only ever encountered him once in person. That was before I started smoking pipes. Now, I kind of hope to run into him to find out what he smokes.

You know, sometimes a person just needs a kindred spirit to talk to. Hope you are able to have a conversaion sometime.

From what I read here, a pipe smoker is likely to have some choice stuff squirreled away in jars and may like to share it. :)

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
There is an older man in my neighborhood that smokes at a little table on his front porch. When I drive by I can usually see his pipe and tobacco out there. I stopped one day and told him I smoke a pipe too. He seemed a bit taken aback that it was even a topic of conversation. Turns out he is a Captn Black guy (I like it too). I would stop and smoke with him now and again if invited, but it looks like he enjoys smoking alone.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
The only people I have spotted smoking a pipe in my town or in the city, are older gentlemen. I never approach them. When I smoke a pipe in the wild, I do usually get some measure of approval from other pedestrians, but that’s about it. No-one ever struck a conversation with me on that subject beyond friends, acquaintances or colleagues.

Greetings to Eindhoven. I consider your smoking principles mostly to be right for a relaxed smoke.

Reactions: MacMarty89

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
You know, sometimes a person just needs a kindred spirit to talk to. Hope you are able to have a conversaion sometime.

From what I read here, a pipe smoker is likely to have some choice stuff squirreled away in jars and may like to share it. :)
You described my afternoon exactly. A pipe smoking friend came over, brought some blends and we had a good time trying out each others tobaccos and talking pipes. Wish we did it more often. puffy

Reactions: JOHN72 and FLDRD

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
I haven't found any in the wild, but I do get looks and questions sometimes. I mostly have some cherry aromatic if out and about, so the comments are usually positive.

Nothing beats a good cherry baccy if at a long table. Seems to put everyone in a good mood.

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I think I’d likely stop and have a chat if I got the right vibe, but I’m saying that, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone smoke a pipe publicly around here.