PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I don't inhale, and I believe most of the pipe smokers here who smoke for flavor do not inhale either.

Nicotine hit is a side effect that not every pipe smoker likes. You can try Samuel Gawith's 1792, or even their Black XX or Brown No. 4. These probably won't give most smokers just a "buzz" if they inhale.

The health of your lung is very important, so we won't advise you to inhale.
@cosmic

I thought for quite a while about jogging while clenching a pipe for the sake of watching other joggers' reaction. I think a wind cap may make it work. Then it's not just 'lunting', perhaps 'runting'.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I fall in the non-inhale camp. However, I do know pipe smokers that have been smoking for years that do inhale. They take the opposite attitude as in they wonder "how can anyone smoke a pipe and not inhale?" Oh well...to each his/her own as long as your getting what you are looking for out of it.

Mar 1, 2014
I never used tobacco before last year so inhaling is virtually impossible for me.

I'm also nearly immune to any positive effects of Nicotine, and Caffeine, and most pain killers.

If it's three hours past bedtime, then caffeine will have an effect, otherwise I'm just drinking bitter water.

When I dislocated my shoulder (not all the way thank goodness), T3's just took the edge off, but it also made my tummy feel funny so I only used it for a week.

Nicotine seems to do nothing until my head is spinning, so the only sensation I associate with it is nausea.

I'm not sure if it's my size and weight (I'm in good health but about 30% body fat) or if I'm just dead in the brain somewhere.

drumweezer

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
I sometimes inhale, but I've been a cigarette smoker for 15 years. I think inhaling once or twice is not that bad in comparison to inhaling a pack a day of cigarettes. I also use filters too.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I inhale on the false light and then refrain from inhaling unless absolutely necessary.

chrisfranklin

Lurker
Mar 17, 2015
Greece
I thank each and every one of you for the replies. I wasn't really missing a huge part of the experience, but the healthier the experience the better? I guess so, it's smoking we are talking about after all :) The tobacco I usually buy is indeed(as one of the posts indicated me I should buy for the "kick") Petersons Irish Flake. I'll train myself, into puffing my pipe, more. Thanks for the inauguration!

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
The easiest way I was taught, was to think of it like sucking through a straw! (Not assuming you don't know, I figured you might) When I first smoked a pipe, that was how I was taught to do it, and it's worked well!
Best of luck to you working on removing inhalation from your experience, I hope it makes it much more enjoyable for you!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
good info, chalbach72. Good luck to you, chrisfranklin in your efforts to quit inhaling. I can relate to your feeling good inhaling the pipe. That is just getting your vitamin nick addiction satisfied. Everyone deals with quitting cigarettes differently. The point is there is a big difference between inhaling smoke and tasting it. I had to quit smoking all together to get to a point where I could come back to the pipe and not have an urge to inhale it. Some folks on here have just transitioned over, but beware, to inhale pipe smoke is just as bad as cigarettes and in reality, I believe, worse. It is an issue each of us chooses to deal with in our own way, I just highly encourage you, as it sounds like you are doing, to rethink inhaling.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I always inhale, not every puff, but I like to inhale into the lungs and then blow some out the nose. I'll inhale the last bit of smoke in my mouth. I only smoke 2 bowls a day, I know it's not good for me but I get the maximum pleasure out of inhaling my pipe. Same with cigars. Don't judge me.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I never inhale and in the more than 40 years I've been a pipe smoker, I still cough like a beginner if I accidentally do it. The pipe is relaxing enough on its own merits for my personal preference.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
Daimyo and mso489, please explain to a novice why blowing smoke out your nose, (without inhaling it first), would be as bad as inhaling?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I'm an ex-cigarette smoker (Thanks be to God)and I don't inhale. I smoke 3 to 5 bowls a day and I sometimes wonder if I'm not getting a bit dependent on the nicotine.
But for the most part, I smoke a bowl in the morning, and don't smoke again until my afternoon commute. Could abstain from cigarettes like that.
I did find myself leaving a hotel room and going out to the car for a bowl around 9:30 pm Saturday night. Maybe I'm becoming dependent on my evening bowls.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I will inhale a little bit of smoke from certain blends like straight VAS or VaBurs, but not often. I find that inhaling through my pipe ruins the flavor of the smoke...so I stay away from that exercise. Inhaling English/Balkan style tobaccos is a wretched endeavor for me...tastes awful. The flavor of the smoke is what I'm after, along with manipulation of the smoke as I blow it out and lastly I love to catch a hint of the aroma when blowing out pipe smoke. All these factors make not inhaling a truly different event and one that I cherish more than inhaling the smoke for nicotine acquisition. I must admit I do enjoy the sensation of some nicotine making my head buzz a little...not into getting the sweats, feeling nauseated or the like however and there are plenty of blends which can do this to you. Cig smokers are conditioned to inhale so it takes some time to learn how to smoke a pipe without inhaling, but its well worth it since the flavor profile, imo, is vastly superior to cig smoke.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Andy, sorry dude. I did not mean to judge anybody. I was relating to his experience and simply encouraging him to learn to enjoy the pipe without inhaling.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
How about the nose thing then? Why would it be bad (relatively) to blow the smoke through your nose if you don't inhale it first?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Why would it be bad (relatively) to blow the smoke through your nose if you don't inhale it first?
Good question. I am not sure. I do it several times during a bowl. I would not think nasal passages are as delicate as lung tissues, which I am given to understand actually trap and never release some carbon materials.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
If you are breathing anywhere in the area of any smoker, You ARE inhaling. Normal and or regular breathing, sips, puffs etc means you are still breathing, which means you are still inhaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.