Do you have your Dad's favorite old pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,
I love all of these treasures that you everyone is posting. I think it's great!

I do have one wish, and that is to take it one step beyond Arthur's suggestion. I say smoke 'em. Keep 'em alive.
The stem in Dad's Old No Name was a bit loose, so I used the nail polish "trick". I was a little leery of doing that, but other methods just didn't seem to be effective.

I put a thin layer of Clear Nail Polish on the tenon and let it dry for 3 days before I inserted it. It seemed to be just fine. I smoked it later that day, and rather than take it apart warm (to clean it) I let it sit another day.

Well to make a long story a little longer... when I went to pull the stem, it was stuck, and I resorted to twisting it gently. Clockwise it was stuck hard. Counter clockwise (lefty loosey) it unscrewed!

Imagine my shock... It's an Adjustomatic!
Adjustomatic.jpg

This is great! I think an unfortunate result has .... to quote Bilbo Baggins: "All's well that ends better."
Sorry about the photo. I messed around with the aspects to reveal the threads a bit better.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Yes, I do have my dad's favorite pipe. It's a meerschaum, egg shape with oval shank and rather short "real" amber stem. It has the case and, if I may say so, the nicest coloring I've ever seen on a meerschaum. The finish looks like glass and has no scratches. I've smoked it, but not in a long time. The pipe is so old and I think the amber has bacome bittle. Tiny slivers of amber came off in my mouth the last couple of times I smoked it, so now it's just a keeper.
And on a similar note... I also have a picture of one of my dad's pipes. It shows me at about age 3, standing there in my t-shirt and shorts with the pipe in my mouth. Looks like the might be a Peterson bent.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Really nice topic Lawrence and I've enjoyed the pics and stories. Sadly, all my dad left to me in relation to tobacco was an empty pack of KOOL cigarettes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Searock,

You could inquire about a "modern" replacement stem, so you can enjoy it.
Menkenite, I know there are many of us here who have no heirloom pipes. We're sharing.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
"Hey Searock,

You could inquire about a "modern" replacement stem, so you can enjoy it"
A reasonable idea, but I would hate to take the chance of breaking it... I have plenty of other pipes to smoke so I just keep it as a momento, but thanks for the suggestion.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Great heirloom, Lawrence. It's especially nice that so many memories are attached to it and it's still useful.
Even if no one else in your line ever smokes a pipe, it's still a good thing to be handed down.
I wish I knew what became of my dad's old pipes and my grandpa's...especially the Falcon my grandpa liked to smoke. (He was pretty much a cob man the rest of the time.)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
This is a great thread. You guys are lucky to have old pipes from fathers and grandfathers.
My dad never smoked pipes, but my grandfather did. I have asked if anyone knows what happened to his pipes, but no one knows where they ended up. Probably in the garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.