Do you have your Dad's favorite old pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hi Guys,
I have added an old and venerable pipe to my Album.

I have been cleaning up my Dad's Favorite Old No Name.

This pipe is definitely a "clencher". It was a fixture in his face for many years.

The pipe is 6" long, the shank is oval 7/8" wide and 5/8" thick

The bit is just under 3/4" wide.

The grain is very good but it almost looks rusticated, because it is a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks.

It was a fixture in my Dad's face, and I can see why.

It is one excellent smoker.

The silver band was added to arrest three very large crack in the shank, caused by all the knocking it out on hard surfaces.

I think my Dad bought it in the TinderBox, but I can't be sure. He had it for many years.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Great addition Lawrence, I can see why it would be a favorite it's got great lines.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Very nice,and the silver band looks right at home.I do not know what it is about this particular pipe,but my curiosity keeps wanting to see the inside of the bowl.Thats a dandy.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Very nice,and the silver band looks right at home.I do not know what it is about this particular pipe,but my curiosity keeps wanting to see the inside of the bowl.Thats a dandy.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, I have my Father's Meerschaums that he purchased from

Ekrem Bey Koncak, while he was in Turkey. They are well

trained to Edgeworth RR.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have Dad's Baby Wellington with his and Mom's initials carved on the bowl. I also have Grandpa's Dr G. Viking.

colonelmcmuf

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2010
Sadly my dad was never a pipe smoker. He is actually very outspoken of his dislike for my hobby. My mom usually smokes with me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm glad to hear that so many have their Dad's and Grand Dad's old pipes.

That's a good thing.

So..... Lets see some pictures.
@ Earnest:
In these you can see the "tray" damage. There are similar battle scars on the bowl that didn't show up in the first set of pictures. Kinda gives it some character.

Just so you could see the draft hole I took one with a pipe cleaner just poking through, and the other (obviously) without.
BowlwithCleaner.jpg

Bowlwithoutcleaner.jpg

I have to find my wife's camera, and improve on my latest photos. My phone ain't cuttin' it.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Thats what I'm talkin about pstlpkr.I love that look.Really shows the pleasure the pipe has allowed one.Brings it's history to the forefront.Real natural.

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
My father has about four or five briars sitting in an desk drawer in his room. He used to smoke a pipe when I was age 5 to about 10, so they would be about 30 years old now.Since I started smoking a pipe he told me I'm welcome to them.I know nothing about them yet but am excited to see these treasures and will post pics in order to get feedback on what I have.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
My grandfather is still using his, but I believe I'm first in line to inherit them when that sad day comes. My father smoked a pipe when he was in college, but never really stuck with it.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I recently tried tracking down my Grandfathers pipe rack and pipes, so I started with my first cousin who was the only other pipe smoker in the family, and I figured he ended up with them. I hadn't talked to him in 40 years, and called him up in Michigan only to find out that he had quit smoking pipes 10 years ago ( he always inhaled...old school), and he didn't know who had the pipes. Last month while visiting my older brother at his lake place near Dale Hollow Lake in Ky., I mentioned that I called Steve to see if he had the pipes, and my brother said, " I've got them". He sent them to me several weeks ago and I got the small pipe rack/humidor and 6 pipes. 2 of them were completely plugged up, and the rest were in terrible shape with 40 years of dust on them. I used Bacardi 151 with pipe cleaners to clean out all the passages and bowls. Then I got out my old dual shaft buffer setup and used Semichrome to polish up all the stems, and then Carnuba auto wax to polish up all the bowls. I was really happy the way they turned out since they were all of 1950-1960 vintage. Here is the pipe rack and pipes.

P1030492.jpg

I also need help in identifying this pipe.

P1030485.jpg
It has the letter S on the stem
P1030484.jpg

and has written on the underside of the bowl..
P1030483.jpg
Genuine Sandblast Italy Imported Briar.
This is a Dr.Grabow-Riviera bent model before picture.

P1030486.jpg

P1030487.jpg

I will continue on with a second post.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Gonna be interesting to see if they all smoke good, but then again, I don't know if I'd know a good pipe from a bad one at this stage of the game....LOL

rbergum95

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
i have my fathers KRONA plateau top freehand from the 70s. unfortunately my grandfathers pipes are long gone, had i known i would one day put down the cigs and pick up the pipe i would have made sure i took them from his house after he died. hindsight........

Status
Not open for further replies.