PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
Like a lot of people I took to dedicating my meagre pipe collection to styles of tobacco, so I rotate based on what I'm smoking, which generally seems to be VaPer or VaBur pipe if it's the morning and a straight virginia or latakia pipe if its late evening.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Bear with me a little, this morning.......

So.....

Oak is not briar

Tobacco is not whiskey

A sealed wood barrel filled with liquid soaks up some of the liquid....duh....

Briar absorbs the relatively minute amount of steam created by burning tobacco....IMO not even close to the amount that would change the relative humidity of said briar. I'd welcome some real numbers here if anyone has them.

Clay (or any other material) gets hot when you put something burning in it. different materials cool down at different rates. Again...duh

Sorry dude, you haven't convinced me.

Having said all this, if anyone wants to rest their pipes, wash their pipes, clean them with anything that strikes their fancy or treat them anywhere between disposable or sacred treasures, more power to them. As a wise man once said "not my circus, not my monkeys"

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a very detailed rotation that takes into account the tobacco that pipe smokes best, chamber size, date last smoked, country of origin (pipe), country of origin (tobacco), the season, relative humidity and the moon phase. It works like a Rolex on steroids and is locked safely in the part of my brain responsible for details and organization.

Unfortunately, that part of my brain is really pissed at me for never listening to it other than when I wanted to access my (its words) "damned silly pipe chart" and it has blocked me from accessing that rotation so perfect that it would make Euclid and Isaac Newton weep.......so I just grab whatever pipe grabs my fancy and go.
Does it chime the quarter hours?

Reactions: lochinvar

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
I have certain pipes for tobacco that ghosts a pipe. For example ennerdale flake, st Bruno flake, condor flake.
Others I just pick them when I fancy. I'm a slow smoker a bowl can last a couple of hours. I'm also smoking cobs more and more.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I've been ruminating about buying a small "lazy Suzan"? Thing for my circle pipe rack.

It would then be easier to rotate my rotations.
The thing with Lazy Susans is that since they are so lazy they often have rheumatism from laying about in big roomy rooms, so you’ll want to ruminate on that before making any decisions about how to rotate your rotation since what comes around goes around.

To everything, turn, turn, turn
There is a season, turn, turn, turn

Spin GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

stoutreader

Lurker
Jun 23, 2014
Virginia, USA
I have ruminated on a rotation but came to realize that the rumination of a rotation caused my head to hurt. So now I grab whatever pipe speaks to me in the moment. It just seems easier when the pipes ruminate amongst themselves and then tell me which one to smoke. And the pipes haven't let me down yet.