Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A significant portion of the membership have significant piles hoards stacks, accumulations collections of pipes that have been dumped together carefully curated. With dozens, perhaps hundreds, maybe even thousands, of pipes to choose from, have you set up formal rotations that you rotate? Do you rotate at all or just sit there do you simply select at random?

If you have set up formal rotations, is there a common thread or theme that connects that rotation?

Do you believe in rotations, or is it a plot by pipe makers to manipulate buyers into pissing away money further purchases.

Does having enough pipes to form a proper rotation equate in the pipe community to having grown hair "down there"?

Please ruminate.

have you set up formal rotations that you rotate?
Top Pipe Stickers for Android & iOS | Gfycat

Do you rotate at all or just sit there do you simply select at random?

Meat Pipes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

If you have set up formal rotations, is there a common thread or theme that connects that rotation?

Popeye Pipe Spin GIF

Do you believe in rotations, or is it a plot by pipe makers to manipulate buyers into pissing away money further purchases.
Robin Williams - Lets not forget his Popeye

Does having enough pipes to form a proper rotation equate in the pipe community to having grown hair "down there"?
Simulacra And Simulation GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Christos D. Tsatsaronis

Part of the Furniture Now
It is strange, I could also say perhaps almost "unbelievable"...
I was ready to make a new thread, my first in this forum, and you have posted something very similar, just before me!... (Thanks sablebrush52!).
I was going to mention that I find myself having "patterns". There are times that I smoke only with briars and when the rotation ends with cobs and then with the Falcons e.t.c.
This is the usual, while some other times I just choose in a random order, but not very often.
I wonder also, what other members do...

It is strange, I could also say perhaps almost "unbelievable"...
I was ready to make a new thread, my first in this forum, and you have posted something very similar, just before me!... (Thanks sablebrush52!).
I was going to mention that I find myself having "patterns". There are times that I smoke only with briars and when the rotation ends with cobs and then with the Falcons e.t.c.
This is the usual, while some other times I just choose in a random order, but not very often.
I wonder also, what other members do...
Wow, you stepped a serious foot into a funny puddle.
I'll try to help, while the chaos gets rolling.

Pipes do need a little down time to cool, dry, and just rest. How long? No one can say. I rinse mine with water each not, and I can usually smoke it again right away, but I don't. Some like to let them rest 24 hours after using, some say a week. But, there is absolutely no scientific data to support any of it. Just experience and an opinion.
I use no set dogma around my rotation. Just let the pipe and tobacco speak to me.

YMMV.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have no set rotation for my pipes or tobacco. When it is time to pick out a pipe I walk over to my racks and then pick a couple to a few pipes. I then pick a blend one at a time to smoke and the tobacco does fit into it's dedicated pipes. Most of my pipes fit into a genre of tobacco or a specific blend.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I use the Fibonacci sequence as a base, but modify it according the integral sum of the number of grams of tobacco that fit in the chambers of my pipes. Of course, I also have to take into account the shape of the chamber, the number of daylight hours for that week and the phase of the moon.

But mostly, I just smoke whatever pipe I feel like that particular moment.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Thinking about it, I do prefer to smoke my very small French pipes in the morning, my Danish daily workhorses (small) after work and then in the evening my English grp 3/4 pipes. In the weekends I might occasionally enjoy an Austrian meer or Calabash, in between. How silly is that?...

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Do you rotate at all or just sit there do you simply select at random?
For this, and your 2 subsequent questions, I take the unreliable human element out of the equation and utilize a random number generator:
Random Number Generator
As for the last query, hair growth in the nether regions seems to have stabilized but I have noticed an annoying increase in my ears. Does this count?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I started I had no rotation.
I continued on in ignorance for about 18 mos., but then I got a sponsor who urged me to join a forum that JR had. Surely that was the happenin' place.
I did and became confused about the lingo applied to pipes and tobacco. It was all too much. But I was duly smitten and stayed.
It was there that I learned about a rotation. Though at first I resisted the idea, I caved because it was my intention to be the consummate pipe smoker, and to do so I had to follow all the guidelines of the august personages who knew so much more than I.
So I rotated from between 2-14 years but found that only a more simple rotation worked because I forgot anything more elaborate.
In the last several years, governed by a mood of rotation lassitude, that is to say "fuck it," I gave the practice up, especially as it seemed to make no difference.