PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snakeseye

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
I have an inclination to like to shorter chubbier shapes, although that has been changing with time, I cannot resist a nice brandy, tomato, or apple.

rmcnabb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2024
I am embarrasingly enamored of the Peterson 53, which is a Lovat. But the Pete is so light, and so perfectly proportioned, with a bowl of perfect width and depth. My other pipes are huddled together, grumbling, and playing with their switchblades hoping that my 53 will turn his back at just the right moment.

Reactions: dcon

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I like paneled shapes a lot. I reach for bent pipes more often than straight. Beyond that, not much of a preference. I mainly look at chamber dimensions and the stem/bit when choosing a pipe.

Reactions: dcon and CBailey
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
At this point in time, I’m not sure if I have a favourite pipe shape. But, I do have ones I have gravitated to more than others. From the standpoint of what I think of as a generic symbol of a classic bent pipe, the Savinelli 606 and 601 have a profile that comes very close. I enjoy the feel of an Author in hand; I probably have more Savinelli 320 pipes than any other, but I wish the shank had more of a bend and looked closer to the graceful lines of the chubby Comoy’s and GBD Authors. I have many Savinelli 514 pipes (tall Bulldogs with long shanks) because I happen to love the way they smoke, but from a visual aesthetic, I prefer Squat Bulldogs and Rhodesians. I’ve grown to appreciate Stacks for their longer smoking time—I have a good numbers of Savinelli 906, 130, and 131 pipes, and have slowly been adding Stacks from other marques to the arsenal. I love the curves of the Dunhill LC (Large Curve), have yet to get a Dunhill version, but acquire pipes close to the shape from different makers when I can. I am also a big fan of figural pipes, especially Skulls; I have a good number of ones made from briar, but have yet to find a 21st Century Meerschaum Skull that impresses me—the anatomy of most are abysmal and I have stuck to 19th and early 20th Century ones as a result.

Reactions: dcon and sparker69

CBailey

Lurker
Aug 1, 2024
West Valley Utah
I like the extreme bent. But I have no idea what they are called.
I’ve looked up “Bulldog” shape but there a many variations of it and nothing like these 2.
Who can help me so I know what I call them. Both are Savinelli.IMG_2338.jpeg

Reactions: redleaderdave

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I like the extreme bent. But I have no idea what they are called.
I’ve looked up “Bulldog” shape but there a many variations of it and nothing like these 2.
Who can help me so I know what I call them. Both are Savinelli.View attachment 330002
The Savinelli 614 (which both of yours seem to be) would be considered a Full-bent Billiard.
^^^^ 👍
Full-bent Billiard
Definitely NOT a Bulldog

If you like extreme bents, take a look at Hungarians/Oom Pauls

thomasw

Lifer
Dec 5, 2016
I know it is boring and utterly unexciting, but I love the classic dublins and the traditional billiard and billiard-like-variations such as lovats, canadians and liverpools. I love both straight and bent dublins and billiards. Most of my main pipe rotation consists of these shapes.

Reactions: dcon

CBailey

Lurker
Aug 1, 2024
West Valley Utah
I know it is boring and utterly unexciting, but I love the classic dublins and the traditional billiard and billiard-like-variations such as lovats, canadians and liverpools. I love both straight and bent dublins and billiards. Most of my main pipe rotation consists of these shapes.
Classic Dublins a just that! CLASSIC N CLASSY!

Reactions: thomasw