Do You have a Pipe You can’t Bring Yourself to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The Mister G series was the bottom end of the Punto Oro line.

But in the last two years (at least here in Italy) there has been a real hunt for these pipes because, via a forum, word had spread about the exceptional nature of their briar.
Tell me more about this. I have an unsmoked Savinelli Oscar 604ks (6MM) with the original Mr. G brass ring. I received it before Christmas 1984. I believe it pre-dates (ie: from 1981) Mr. G being relegated to the Punto oro line only. Does it have some value beyond the normal $130.00 for which new ones sell ? Just curious ...

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Tell me more about this. I have an unsmoked Savinelli Oscar 604ks (6MM) with the original Mr. G brass ring. I received it before Christmas 1984. I believe it pre-dates (ie: from 1981) Mr. G being relegated to the Punto oro line only. Does it have some value beyond the normal $130.00 for which new ones sell ? Just curious ...
Sorry, I forgot to say "Please". Mea Culpa !

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
You're right... a few years ago.
But in the last two years (at least here in Italy) there has been a real hunt for these pipes because, via a forum, word had spread about the exceptional nature of their briar. I myself had looked for it for this very reason, but now I can no longer find anything at decent prices.
Who knows, perhaps abroad, some unaware owner...
@swilford addressed a similar issue on Savinelli grading briar previously on this forum; See comment #15 :

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Seems to be a useful adornment for Savinelli. The Porto Cervos use them as well.
Oscar was a line of pipes with lighter/natural finish but not without fills. I believe mine is a 1981 when the brass rings were first introduced. Later the "Mr. G" imprint was added and was relegated to the Punto Oro line only (I believe) then expanded again much later to more lines. I believe, but can't prove, mine is a better grade of briar only because of the natural color finish and mine only has 1 or 2 microscopic surface fills that I even have to look for. Savinelli has informed me it is an excellent example and highly collectible shape (but --- short email reads like it came from marketing dept. - who knows ?). ;) :ROFLMAO:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I have a Cavalier meerschaum (I believe its a Royal Meerschaum), I bought from a fellow YouTuber years ago to help him out with some funds to get his dog a needed surgery. He had acquired the pipe from another YouTuber which belonged to his dad, also a YouTuber (OldPipePops), who had passed away. It was pretty cool, so I didn't smoke it. I later found it had a hairline crack in the shank, so I definitely won't smoke it as I don't know how deep the crack is and I don't want it to break. So it sits on display with my other meers as a display piece. Over the years it some how has developed some patina on it which is kind of cool. The shank has two pieces that you can remove to adjust the pipe to different lengths.
20230831_193129.jpg20230831_193143.jpg20230831_193234.jpg
20230313_112001.jpg

Attachments

• 20230831_193234.jpg
    20230831_193234.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: BigEd and Ben.R.C

BigEd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2023
Franklin, TN
I have a Cavalier meerschaum (I believe its a Royal Meerschaum), I bought from a fellow YouTuber years ago to help him out with some funds to get his dog a needed surgery. He had acquired the pipe from another YouTuber which belonged to his dad, also a YouTuber (OldPipePops), who had passed away. It was pretty cool, so I didn't smoke it. I later found it had a hairline crack in the shank, so I definitely won't smoke it as I don't know how deep the crack is and I don't want it to break. So it sits on display with my other meers as a display piece. Over the years it some how has developed some patina on it which is kind of cool. The shank has two pieces that you can remove to adjust the pipe to different lengths.
View attachment 288053View attachment 288054View attachment 288056
View attachment 288057
very cool pipe!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've a couple/few that I may not smoke. One or two I bought new to give to myself after I progressed in the process of smoking without damaging a good pipe- may no longer fit my preferred criteria that has evolved through the process.

And 1 or 2 that I may not smoke because they will have some collectability, and I enjoy smoking my "regulars" just fine at this point.

However, all the above (as I've learned thus far) is subject to changes in my future whims.

As of now, I'll never say never.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I don’t have this pipe yet, but a virgin Manduela was on the top of my list as dream pipe. I am thinking about how to keep it pristine and not smoking it has come to mind. I’m generally not the type to not use a tool for what it was meant for but this one has got me thinking.
IMG_8724.jpeg

Reactions: steveg11 and BigEd

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
So many beautiful pipes and stories on this thread. Great responses.....

I have one pipe that I just cannot bring myself to smoke. It belonged to my dad and he smoked it when I was a small child, back in the sixties. It is a very humble Medico pipe and it was stored away and got broke somehow. I had it restored a year or two ago and here is a before and after picture. It is on the original stand that dad used.

Trivia question: On that original stand, there is a small slot in the front of where the bowl sits. Do any of you know what that slot was for??

Dad's pipe before a.jpg
Dad's pipe after a.jpg