Do You have a Pipe You can’t Bring Yourself to Smoke?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
When I buy a new Pipe I smoke it, I'm a collector but firstly I am a Pipe smoker, I have over 200 Pipes and I have smoked all of them, they are all on rotation, I never see why you have a Pipe and not smoke it, that's why they are made, my Xmas present was a full set of Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipes from the late 80's through to 91, all in they're boxes and with a Peterson rack to house them in, they were all unsmoked, 7 pipes in the set, all 7 were smoked before boxing day, must of cost the owner a lot to not smoke them, best Xmas present ever but still wonder who they belonged to and why did he buy them and why did he not smoke them. I buy a Pipe to smoke it, no other reason. puffy

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I have two Pre-Republic System 0 307's, one smooth and one blast. They were gifts from another forum member and I have zero intention of smoking either. I have so many 307's that leaving two unsmoked doesn't bother me in the least. I also have a cased pair of silver mounted of KB&B LondonLike pipes from the early 1920's that are unsmoked and will stay that way.

9.jpg

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I have about a dozen or so I have not smoked yet, mostly high grade pipes such as Castellos. But they will all be smoked by me eventually.

I’ve said it here before: the saddest listing on eBay is one for “Unsmoked Estate Pipe” made by some decedent‘s long-lost nephew who inherited it and promptly sold it. Also, if I buy a new Castello for $650 and hide it away for 20 years, chances are it’s probably out of style and not even worth the original $650. Better to have smoked it and let my sons sell it for $300 twenty years from now. Hopefully, I raised them in a manner that they also prefer I enjoyed it now.

These Castellos will hopefully feel the flame before I do:

(Tap on image to enlarge)

Attachments

• IMG_2738.jpeg
    IMG_2738.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 32

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Better to have smoked it and let my sons sell it for $300 twenty years from now.

Isn’t it pretty to think so?

Personally I’m skeptical that there will be much of a market for estate pipes in twenty years, but we can place a small bet and see who wins. Of course my children may have to bear my proxy to settle up in the all too possible eventuality that I can’t do it myself.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I have more than enough that I do smoke and I can’t abide breaking in new pipes. I’ve only ever brought a handful of new ones anyway and most are NOS that had been sitting in a drawer for decades. I am reluctant to smoke this Kaywoodie two piece Matched Grain set however, aside from the breaking in they just look too damn perfect. image.jpg

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
A gift for my 50th birthday. Savinelli Autograph. I just can’t bring myself to smoke it. It seems like such a cool art piece. It’s value is beyond close to anything in my 40 or so pipe collection. I don’t think my brother would care if I smoke it or sell it, but I just can’t for some reason.IMG_4797.jpeg399AF36A-4363-4A8A-B8D6-799364A4FB7B.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
A gift for my 50th birthday. Savinelli Autograph. I just can’t bring myself to smoke it. It seems like such a cool art piece. It’s value is beyond close to anything in my 40 or so pipe collection. I don’t think my brother would care if I smoke it or sell it, but I just can’t for some reason.View attachment 283476View attachment 283477
This was from your brother? What a bro!

Uguccione

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I had this Savinelli Mister G, a line that was out of production for years. They were the last pipes made with the famous Ogliastra briar, by the Nannini sawmill.
I wanted it unsmoked at all costs and in the end I found it, but I paid a lot, too much.
I have never managed to smoke it, perhaps regretting having paid so dearly for it. After a year I resold it, losing some money, but that's okay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_071136_it.subito.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_071136_it.subito.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240130_071124_it.subito.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_071124_it.subito.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20240130_071147_it.subito.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_071147_it.subito.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 13

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I had this Savinelli Mister G, a line that was out of production for years. They were the last pipes made with the famous Ogliastra briar, by the Nannini sawmill.
I wanted it unsmoked at all costs and in the end I found it, but I paid a lot, too much.
I have never managed to smoke it, perhaps regretting having paid so dearly for it. After a year I resold it, losing some money, but that's okay.
Those pop up quite frequently on ebay should you ever look for another. I got an unsmoked Mr. G 904 from there a few years ago for $35.

Uguccione

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
a few years ago
You're right... a few years ago.
But in the last two years (at least here in Italy) there has been a real hunt for these pipes because, via a forum, word had spread about the exceptional nature of their briar. I myself had looked for it for this very reason, but now I can no longer find anything at decent prices.
Who knows, perhaps abroad, some unaware owner...

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
You're right... a few years ago.
But in the last two years (at least here in Italy) there has been a real hunt for these pipes because, via a forum, word had spread about the exceptional nature of their briar. I myself had looked for it for this very reason, but now I can no longer find anything at decent prices.
Who knows, perhaps abroad, some unaware owner...
The Mister G series was the bottom end of the Punto Oro line. They still go for less than $100 in the US.

Uguccione

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
@Chasing Embers
Exactly, but they were Punto Oro in all respects, only the price was low-end. Savinelli had to dispose of tons of extra-extra plaques left in storage due to the market collapse in the 1970s.
I'm closing the OT because it's a pipe that no longer interests me, I have other Punto Oro and Autograph from the good years, I can survive :D

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
@Chasing Embers
Exactly, but they were Punto Oro in all respects, only the price was low-end. Savinelli had to dispose of tons of extra-extra plaques left in storage due to the market collapse in the 1970s.
I'm closing the OT because it's a pipe that no longer interests me, I have other Punto Oro and Autograph from the good years, I can survive :D
Can't go wrong with Savinelli from most eras or lines.

Reactions: BigEd