PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson; I especially like Savinelli pipes since they are consistently good smokers and usually based on some type of theme.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I have a favorite style, danish freehands, the bulk of my collection are danish freehands or finely carved meers. If there was a brand I could list that I have more pipe than any other, it would be Kirsten.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Dunhill, Tinsky, Castello cover 90% with a little S. Bang and W.O. Larsen thrown in.
I have given away or sold many others to land on the 30 or so I consider keepers.

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
Very limited exposure to pipes as I only have a couple, however, my Pietenpauw really makes me consider only growing my collection with more of only Jean's work.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
At almost a year into the pipe, I'm scattered about, primarily functional factory pipes. I'm still grabbing new shapes and brands that I don't have, leaving no stone unturned, as far as my meager pipe budget will carry me.
Looking over my working stock, I see about 15 pipes.
New: BriarWorks Poker, Viking Classic Dublin, Falcon Meer lined bowl, Big Ben Dublin Churchwarden (occasional plaything), generic German basket pipe from P&C, Stanwell 86 Bent Pot, Stanwell 185
Estate: Todd Harris Morta Panel Lovat (My one "artisan"), Dunhill 90 Poker, Pre-Savinelli Rossi Squashed Tomato (aka "The Thing"), Savinelli 111KS Billiard, Savinelli 606KS Bent Billiard, Baraccini Apple (the "beater pipe"), Kaywoodie Carburetor "Slim" Billiard (the "Lakeland Burner")
With the exception of the Falcon, all are used and enjoyed regularly.
In the "strategic reserve" box are maybe that many more pipes that I've not yet tried, a mix of new and estates from as many shapes and makers as I stumble across. Stuff to look forward to some day, I guess, just like all the yet untried blends in the cellar.
So, that's the long winded answer, to say I have no brand. My secret to enjoying them all is to know before hand that each will be unique and require me to adapt my technique and tobacco to suit. If I tried to smoke them all the same way, I'd surely be disappointed with some. I don't ride my scooter the way I ride my big cruiser and I don't try to smoke my tiny poker the way I smoke my huge billiard.
jay-roger.jpg

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
A little over 1/2 of my pipes are from Mark Tinsky, and probably 90% of those are blasted by Rad.

The remainder of my pipes include Dunhill, Barling, Ashton, Nording, Sasieni, Blakemar, and assorted others.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I’m a sucker for a Sav

Absolutely love them since I first stuck a 320 ks in my mouth

My collection has grown since then but I still have a hard time straying from these pipes.

Already have my eye on another ...

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
My repeat was from Karl Erik (I have 2, and only about 15 total). His pipes are beautiful, although one I have is a very finnicky smoker. Some days shes perfect, others I'm creating poke holes with my Czech tool to finish a bowl. Still reach for her more often than not though.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Such august company of makers/carvers represented here!
The only pipes I have more than one of to a brand at present, are 6 Missouri Meerschaums, 4 Dr. Grabows, and 2 Jacobs both marked "10" but one smooth, the other rusticated. When I tried looking up Jacob briar pipes, all I could find was something about 19th century clay pipes of a very bearded face with many, many variations.
Ananta Androscoggin

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
@choch - The first pipes I bought when I started smoking (after a drugstore Grabow) were GBD and BBB estates. They formed the bulk of my collection for a couple years. While I don’t own any today, I developed a real appreciation for how well they smoked while being so affordable and available. Now, I think the secret is out and that horse has left the barn, but I used to be able to buy them for less than $10 each consistently, and occasionally get a whole rack of 5 or 6 for less than $20.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
Love me a Nording and my goto pipes are usually Missouri Meerschaum, Brigham or Savinelli

Status
Not open for further replies.