PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snakeseye

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
I had a few, some just didn't smoke as well as I hoped so I sold them, sometimes that happens.
I have one which shape is really cool and is overall a really nice pipe, but it's impossible to pass a cleaner.
and I mean it, without the stem, with the stem, even from the bowl direction.
no matter how you bend it, twist it, it's just not drilled in a way that enable really cleaning it, I can kinda get in with a q-tip but I don't bother.
for some reason I still have that one, I feel bad to sell it to someone at this state, and I hold some hope I will somehow be able to fix it in the future.
no idea why the maker put his stamp on it like that.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Yes. I have a few that were marvelous to look at. Artisan pipes. This was early in my collecting journey and I bought them because of how they looked. The ones with wide bowls never worked well for me. Sadly, I can't smoke a pipe if the bowl is too wide. 3/4 of an inch or less diameter works well. Anything larger and it's a bit of a gamble for me. Funny thing is I did not trade them off or sell them, maybe someday I'll figure out how to smoke them.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Too many to list them all. And everyone of them were purchased during my trendy nose warmer fiasco PAD. Wish it never happened.
Sorry to hear nose warmers are not your thing ☹️

Member @KORNEY has an amazing collection of them.

While I love the elegance of longer pipes to look at, they don’t work well for me. I gave away a meer “trombone” and got a new short stem made for a semi-churchwarden

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Overall I’ve experienced very few duds. The few artisan made pipes that didn’t work for me were sold off. There were a couple of early Kaywoodies, including a Gale, that I also sold.
The 70’s era Dunhills that I bought in the early 90’s couldn’t hold a fit and produced dull flavors and all went in the drawer. My earlier Dunhills are fine. I’m pretty happy with the pipes I have. Not all of them are for smoking, as I own some very old (century +) and rare pipes, several of which are unsmoked, and those unsmoked pipes I have zero desire to smoke.
Truth to tell, I have too many pipes to smoke all of them regularly. Except for the few pipes I have sold or 86ed, the rest smoke well for me, and/or are of historical interest to me.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I am enjoying MM pipes for the last few months, never tried them in over 60yrs, they smoke great but not good looking, I have way over 200 pipes, some rare, some very expensive, some gifted, the only ones I like are good smokers, nowadays I don't care how they look, just good smokers, just sorting out my collection and about to try a Peterson Patent that I have never smoked, a gift, hope it's bliss and don't explode.

Reactions: FLDRD

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I have a pipe I bought on eBay that reeks of perfume. I can smell it from across the room and have tried numerous things to get it to stop stinking but to no avail. I think I might sand it down and see if that solves it. The weird thing is the smell emanates from outside of the pipe. I can’t even describe how bad it smells. Feces might be more pleasant.

• Wow

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Ahhh yes, I have a Larrysson pipe that I find disappointing.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was made in 2008, I believe Paul's first year. I've smoked it exactly 4 times.....it hasnt been smoked in over a decade now. It just sits there....perfect stem, perfect rim perfect draw.....
But, the dang stem is as wide as an ironing board!
Ive tried 5 times to like it but I don't.
At some point I need to sell it, but I don't want to pawn Big Booty Judy off on anyone.
1000002158.jpg
1000002159.jpg
1000002160.jpg

• Sad

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ahhh yes, I have a Larrysson pipe that I find disappointing.
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was made in 2008, I believe Paul's first year. I've smoked it exactly 4 times.....it hasnt been smoked in over a decade now. It just sits there....perfect stem, perfect rim perfect draw.....
But, the dang stem is as wide as an ironing board!
Ive tried 5 times to like it but I don't.
At some point I need to sell it, but I don't want to pawn Big Booty Judy off on anyone.
View attachment 330346
View attachment 330347
View attachment 330348
Looks like some of my pipes.

Reactions: Sig

RudyH

Might Stick Around
Sep 1, 2022
Wisconsin
I have an XL90 Waterford Fishtail with an acrylic stem and it does not pass a cleaner either. It is also my only pipe with an annoying feature because the mortise is drilled much deeper than the tenon, and liquid accumulates there while smoking. The pipe will gurgle. The work-around is to pass a pipe cleaner as far as it will go, and that absorbs enough of the liquid to continue my smoke. Other than that, it is a fine smoking pipe.

For cleaning, the stem is easy to remove and the mortise and tenon are very large in diameter. There is no difference in tension when removing the stem, whether the pipe is cool or warm. The finish is good. The overall design is good. The quality of the materials is good. I have other Petersons and am happy with all of them, including this one.

I am not disappointed with the pipe, but since the original post is specifically about an XL90, I thought I'd share my experience with mine.

If I knew of a way to safely and easily make the mortise shallower, I would do it.