PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok as a new smoker I have found most of my bowls fizzle out with about 1/4 to 1/5 bowl remaining. I have 2 questions for all of you about what I now know to be “dottle”.

1) Am I packing the first pinch too light, too tight, or is this the norm?

2) I am finding myself dumping the top ash off the dottle and fluffing up the remaining and lighting it. I have always hated wasting anything. Sometimes it’s actually a nice flavor hit on that last relight, yet sometimes I wish I never did it. What do most of you do?

Reactions: Laurent

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Sounds like you're asking about a strange dance from the 50's. Sometimes I dottle, sometimes I don't. Either way, I never worry about it, nor do I torch the last remaining flakes for tobacco. That's a good way to burn out your pipe.
Yea was kinda a play on words.. ?
When you say “burn out” your pipe are you meaning actually burning the wood and physical damage? Or is that a pipe term for something that causes a carbon or caking / taste issue?

Reactions: anotherbob
Yea was kinda a play on words.. ?
When you say “burn out” your pipe are you meaning actually burning the wood and physical damage? Or is that a pipe term for something that causes a carbon or caking / taste issue?
A burn out can be one of several different things. A pinhole opens up and burns out through to the outside of the pipe, or a section of the thin wood around the draft hole can burn and cause problems with your airway.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would like to see what people are left with when done smoking. Has there ever been a "Show me your dottle and I'll show you mine" thread?

Was always curious if I am an efficient smoker or if I'm wasting.
I seldom have much dottle to show! And, thank Heaven, haven't seen such a thread.

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts. It cuts down on posts or PMs asking where you are.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New pipe smokers worry a lot about dottle. Be easygoing about it. Maybe pack slightly looser and dry your tobacco a little more. A bit of gentle tamping will even out the burn. Once it loses its good taste, scoop it out in the ashtray. Eventually, you'll get very little dottle, sometimes none. But even so, you won't get an award, so don't focus on it.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I would like to see what people are left with when done smoking. Has there ever been a "Show me your dottle and I'll show you mine" thread?

Was always curious if I am an efficient smoker or if I'm wasting.
This would be fun!

Some pipes produce more dottle than others. I've found, in my own experience, the humidity effects the amount of dottle more than anything.

Unless you live somewhere with draconian tobacco laws or have a seriously restrictive budget, I'd chuck it. That plug of hot nasty may look enticing but it's just a hot mess on the inside (she looks like a 10 at 2 and a 2 at 10 lol) -- good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The unburnt tobacco has served as a sort of filter, but smoking it is often quite sour, so I consider it has served its purpose and throw it out, not following Sherlock Holmes example who picked out the unburnt bits and smoked them. It can't have been tasty.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
When I get done smoking a bump out the ash, it’s always like a little surprise. Sometimes I have one sometimes I don’t. ?

Reactions: JOHN72