PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep

there are actually people who never take a hand off of their pipe while in their mouth?
I work with one of them.

Ok, I get the softee bits for protecting the stem, but I don’t find them better to use. I actually find them to be an impediment to enjoying smoking a pipe.
Try the thick part over the bit, not the button.

Reactions: tklee

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Actually.... Why i can't clench on my left, is because i lost a teeth on the top row of my left side ? , thus i find it hard to clench pipe on my left.

Reactions: JOHN72

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
While I lost the genetic lottery on male pattern baldness, I won it on teeth. I'm fortunate to be able to clench on either side, depending on which way the air around me is moving. Most likely clenching on my right, but the left is just fine.

Reactions: JOHN72 and tklee

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I tend to hold my pipe in the right side of my mouth. When I first started smoking a pipe, after a few months I noticed that I had worn a hole in the bottom of the stem of my Castello bent egg. My lower right lateral incisor (fang) tooth had a very sharp point that was digging a hole in the lucite. I stopped by my dentist and had him polish off the sharp point and problem solved. I repaired the stem with some epoxy. That was in 1965 and I still have and smoke that pipe today... with the same stem. I have many pipes from back then and they all have only very slight marks on the stems. A chewer I'm not.

Minor surgery for the sake of my pipe. Now, that's dedication! puffy

• Wow

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Never thought about it, but I clench on the left if the pipe has any weight to it, otherwise I clench on both sides. I actually had to return a beautiful pipe I bought because the acrylic bit was just a tad too narrow and shiny to clench. It would rotate between my teeth and felt insecure.

Bobby Bailey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 8, 2021
Upper Southwest Arkansas, USA
I normally hold my pipe, switching sides to get more flavor. Sometimes I clench, normally on the left, occasionally on the right.
Really, I'm kinda all over the place LOL. But after reading, @cosmicfolklore saying it was safer, I'm just ahead of the game ;). Mostly, I switch around because I can detect the sweetness of the weed better.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I avoid clenching because I don't want to damage my stems, so I tend to always hold my pipe. I bought a bag of soft bits thinking that would address any issues, but I find when I clench with a soft bit, it triggers my salivary glands. I have some very lightweight pipes that I want to use while I'm drawing or doing layouts on the computer, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards to smoke a pipe while I work.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I bought a bag of soft bits thinking that would address any issues, but I find when I clench with a soft bit, it triggers my salivary glands.
I have the same problem like you did. To me, with the soft bits at the tip, it feels difficult to draw. So, I just take it out, and thinking, let it be bite mark, it shows that I used my pipes, historical mark ?

Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have the same problem like you did. To me, with the soft bits at the tip, it feels difficult to draw. So, I just take it out, and thinking, let it be bite mark, it shows that I used my pipes, historical mark ?
Have you tried placing the thick part of the soft bit just past the button over the bite area?