Do Yellow Acrylic Stems Smoke Cooler Than Black Stems?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Reading the Wall Street Journal on a crisp fall morning, while smoking a bowl of Officer’s Club in a Savinelli Miele 111 with its yellow acrylic stem….as the family Doberman looks on approvingly…makes this debate a moot point. But thanks for participating.

(tap on photo to enlarge)
An undocked Doberman. Absolutely gorgeous with their ears and tail.

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
An undocked Doberman. Absolutely gorgeous with their ears and tail.
OT

Thx. “Dolly” (front left, below) was one of three rescue Dobies found abandoned in rural Tennessee. My daughter, a veterinarian, grew up with our late cropped ear and docked tail Doberman, but felt Dolly was perfect as is. Dolly is named after a famous Tennessean…and has the same sweet personality and strong vocal cords. What a bark.

(tap on photo to read caption)

Attachments

• IMG_9734.jpeg
    IMG_9734.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 11

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It’s not a placebo effect, it’s a minute difference.

It’s not the color of the stem but the difference in materials used. Hard rubber has a different insulation factor than acrylic.

I think I’ve discovered the reason for the lumberman or Canadian style pipe.

Ideally the briar would go all the way back to the button.

Ya think?.:)

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Lucashly

Can't Leave
Jun 21, 2023
California
Put a very sensitive temp gauge on the stems or smoke at a University Lab in astrophysics and this would give some indication. 👍Both stems are cool to touch so if there was a difference it’s gotta be infinitesimal.

Wait....so does that make radiator pipes and metal pipe stems complete 🐂💩?
Anything sold to cool the smoke, concerning the stem. Radiator pipes, the ones that come to mind for me, were designed to keep the bowl cool. But, gimmicks in general are meant to compensate for poor smoking techniques. Even a clay pipe smoked with a slow enough technique will deliver a pleasant smoking experience. So…

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Anything sold to cool the smoke, concerning the stem. Radiator pipes, the ones that come to mind for me, were designed to keep the bowl cool. But, gimmicks in general are meant to compensate for poor smoking techniques. Even a clay pipe smoked with a slow enough technique will deliver a pleasant smoking experience. So…
Shoot!!! smoke a "Bones" (bones) pipe and you'll understand a stem is just a pretty addition to an already beautiful object. The first time I smoked a pipe without a stem ( just straight briar ) I was astonished how nothing at all about the enjoyment of a pipe is lost if no stem is used.

Aug 11, 2023
just neat pipe.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
All I know, is that I learned that some yellow stems can be made of polyester. I'm allergic to polyester, as in shirts make me itchy. Well apparently the polyester stems are no different. Itchy mouth. And the one I had chipped really easy. No bueno.

Reactions: FLDRD

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
All I know, is that I learned that some yellow stems can be made of polyester. I'm allergic to polyester, as in shirts make me itchy. Well apparently the polyester stems are no different. Itchy mouth. And the one I had chipped really easy. No bueno.
Please enlighten us as to which specific yellow acrylic stems are “made of polyester.” Gracias.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Please enlighten us as to which specific yellow acrylic stems are “made of polyester.” Gracias.
The only one I had, was on a meerschaum pipe I had made for me by Astas Meerschaum. I would have no idea how to tell the difference otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.